Verlinden 114th Pennsylvania Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

81tys9ot18L._AC_UL320_.jpg

I've decided to repaint this bust over Christmas. I last did so about two years ago and unfortunately I didn't check to see if I had any photos of the last effort before immersing it in the Mr Muscle - I hadn't, so you'll have to take my word for it that it needed re-doing.

The 114th Pennsylvania were one of the many Zouave regiments in the Union army during the American Civil War;

lsj 2ppp.jpg

A brilliantly colourful uniform (and the vivandiere would make a fine subject if any bust modellers are tuning in - hint, hint). I've also made the Verlinden 120mm version of the same subject:

100_4494.JPG

So onto the bust, and I've got most of the face done:

100_6003.JPG100_6004.JPG

This is one of Verlinden's better sculpts (apologies for the blurry photos, but I hadn't realised that my granddaughter had put her sticky fingers all over the camera lens).

May get the chance to do a bit more today.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good Peter. :thumb2:

If there any room I'll take a seat.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nice to see you painting again Peter.I got a nice Osprey book for Christmas on Austrian frontier troops 1740 to 1798.So more Pandour types in evidence.Have Historex sold all the busts now as some on E.bay are v dear.Head looks great and i will join the gathered onlookers if i may.
Rich.

D

Deleted member 6559

Neil - Cheers

Richard - Historex still have forty different subjects left, and a great many are reduced to under £20. It really annoys me to see the stupid prices on eBay - no one wanted the things before they went out of production and now people are trying to cash in on the company's demise - b*****ds!

More Austrian frontier troops would be great great. I love painting your pandour busts

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Loads of character in that face, and another auburn head too!

Subliminal painting of red heads?

Nice Start on your recycling, it going to a bright one once you get to the body.

Very foggy here, a real Sherlock Holmes "pea souper"!

Now that Christmas is over, I hope to get out and try some street walking, even if its only to the top of the street and back, and get into the bath for a shower.

Getting my new knee over the side of the bath has been part of my physio practise for the past 10 days, today could be the day LOL

Hopefully better weather Down South?

Have a good day with the family and the light

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

Late start, as I went back to bed - late night sessions with my son over his girlfriend - it's finally all over today. As a result I've missed the light on this gloomy enough day and probably won't be able to do much painting.

Be sure to pack a survival kit if you do attempt the top of the street. Good luck!

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Hopefully a better day today, though resolving a family crisis is a worthy result for a days work.

I had packed a standard urban civilian emergency kit for my 400 yard trip out.

Flares,
Grizzly bear repellent,
Fishing line and hooks
Compass
Flint and striker plate
Dehydrated H2O
Space station freeze dried strawberries.

I made it all the way to the top of the street and back again and celebrated with a shower
A red letter day in my diary!

Today will be down the hill to the post box, and back again.

Have a good day with what little light there is likely to be.

Regards

Steve H

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hope you get on ok today Peter.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Excuse me Peter.
Morning Peter

Hopefully a better day today, though resolving a family crisis is a worthy result for a days work.

I had packed a standard urban civilian emergency kit for my 400 yard trip out.

Flares,
Grizzly bear repellent,
Fishing line and hooks
Compass
Flint and striker plate
Dehydrated H2O
Space station freeze dried strawberries.

I made it all the way to the top of the street and back again and celebrated with a shower
A red letter day in my diary!

Today will be down the hill to the post box, and back again.

Have a good day with what little light there is likely to be.

Regards

Steve H
Steve, painful for you but reading your description of survival kit for getting up to the end of the road I nearly spat my tea out !
Good for you, keep it up .
Thanks Peter .

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Verry nice Mr.D.Ive got a couple of ACW ospreys and keen on doing some of the union militias as they wore some very quirky uniforms and hats of all shapes and sizes.
Pip pip onk onk.
Rich.

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - Glad you like it. There were some terrific uniforms worn during the ACW - great bust material indeed.

Ralph - Many thanks my friend.

D

Deleted member 6559

I also decided to do a quick re-paint of this Verlinden Union cavalryman:

100_6040.JPG100_6041.JPG100_6036.JPG

The head was stripped down and completely re-painted, but the torso was just given a touch up.

I originally painted the above two busts with another ACW subject, this 3rd New Jersey cavalryman:

100_6030.JPG

I repainted this one a couple of months ago. As I've always considered them a trio, here they are together:

100_6028.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: