Verlinden 120mm Butterfly

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_4485.JPG

My next figure will be Verlinden's 3rd New Jersey Cavalryman. The regiment were nick-named 'The Butterflies' because of their gaudy hussar-style uniforms. I've also made this figure before, and again thought it was time to have another bash. The box-art has caught the figure at it's worst angle, as the pose is much better overall.

It's also clear from other reference and photos that the colouring on the box is slightly wrong, with the cape and breeches being a slightly lighter blue:

download (5).jpgb971c72e3aaa783a559d8d5bbdd9cc3f.jpg8776_36_96-cavalry-uniform.jpg

It will make for a much more colourful rendering.

Here are the parts:

100_4486.JPG

Quite a complicated figure, with the cape/hood assembly stacking on top of the torso. Lots of belts, buckles and hooks as well.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Saw the title and thought you had gone all "Spring Watch" on us :tongue-out3:
Jim

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Jim - Well Chris Packham is a hero of mine, ever since reading his Guardian Magazine Q&A which was the funniest ever.

D

Deleted member 6559

This is now ready for painting:

100_4487.JPG100_4488.JPG

The head and cape are just loosely fitted for now - all best painted separately. I filled in the recess for the carbine on his thigh, as I think I'll sling the gun under his arm and have him holding a pipe in his right hand. Some of the smaller elements on the equipment sprues crumbled when touched, so a few bits and pieces had to be repaired - at least I got the sword guard off in one piece - probably for the first time ever.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking forward to this one, loads of frogging .....

R

RichardMo

Been under the weather for dang near 2 1/2 weeks spring flu yea. So have not been on as of late. Just got on to see my friends new stuff .have to say I really like this face Peter it is simply wonderful. I am watching with interest to see how you pull off the cape.
Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Rick - Was wondering where you'd been. I hope you are on the mend. Glad you like the face.

Neil. Thanks. Also tackled the tunic front last PM:

100_4492.JPG

A bit tricky, as some of the cords were miscast. That's the best I can do. Only have two more days to work on this, then its off to Lewes babysitting again.

D

Deleted member 6559

Neil. Well, I'm off to Lewes babysitting on Wednesday and thought it might be nice to try and get this done.

Ralph - I've realised with this one how difficult mid blues are. Also the bright weather makes everything look terrible as I go along. Oh well...

I think that's the main part of the figure done:

100_4501.JPG100_4502.JPG100_4503.JPG

I decided to matt it down at this stage, and as usual the reds looked terrible as a result. I worked on them some more, adding scarlet highlights and tidying up the shadows, then re-varnished. I've just given the black leather parts a coat of satin varnish as I felt that, given the rest of the uniform, they would be kept in good condition - just a bit of wear on the boots.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Just caught this one peter , stunning work so far .The braiding is superb , hope mine turns out half as good when i get round to my airfix 95th rifleman , hes got a load on the front of his jacket too! Cheers tony