Verlinden 120mm Butterfly

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter
One Bank Holiday and a long list of "Can you just......." and it's started and finished, well, except for all the belts, straps and equipment!
Superb gold's, no wonder they were called Butterflies!
Still warm here and back to work.
Just had chance to do some dismal AB work, too warm to throw paint sadly.
Have a good day with the brush.
Regards
Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Ralph - Will be finished today.

Tony - Braiding is much easier to do at this scale that 54mm. I have a couple of 54mm Napoleonic figures myself to do myself and I'm not exactly looking forward to them.

Steve - Yep, the bank holiday's over and so is the warm spell it seems. Glad to hear you did some AB work; any pictures?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Appolgies on missing this Peter.
By the looks another superb build, love the detail on front.
Enjoy Lewes.

D

Deleted member 6559

John - Attendance isn't compulsory, but thanks for looking in. Appreciated.

I think I'm calling him done:

100_4510 (2).JPG100_4511.JPG100_4512.JPG100_4513.JPG100_4514.JPG100_4515.JPG

I feel that there are elements of this one that have defeated me - the mid blue for instance - and as a result I feel a bit iffy about it. Still, I've done the best I can.

I'd already painted and attached the pistol, percussion cap case and sword straps last night, as well as mounting him on the base for safety. Today's session involved painting and mounting the sword, carbine and hands. I decided to attach the carbine to it's sling and have him holding a pipe instead, but otherwise this is pretty much out of the box.

I added some static grass tufts, birch seed pod leaves, and roots from maize plants to the base to add interest.

D

Deleted member 4539

Excellent painting Peter.
And there is certainly nothing wrong with the blues(to me anyway).

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Wow Peter.
More eye candy.Thats a cracker mate.Love the colours very much.Really pops out the detail.
Super doopah mate.
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Phew!! Just caught this in the nick of time Peter. Always liked the Civil War type figures and this one is unsusual. :thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi peter

I almost missed this one. Nice job, like others, i cannot see anything weong with the blues.

I must admit that I do not know the real uniform so i have no idea how accurate the sculpting s but the hood looks a bit odd from the front, but that is a sculpting rather than painting issue.

Peter

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Superb job Peter, you really nailed the blue, its a real stand out piece.

D

Deleted member 6559

Peter - Yes, I agree that it's not a particularly convincing sculpt. The pose is very stiff and the hood looks like it has a re-enforcing hoop around it's rim (which it didn't). I think the sculptor was concentrating more on the engineering of the hood/cloak assembly, which does all fit perfectly. As for the colours, the tunic should be more blue/black, but artistic license took over there.

Mick and Steve - Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Well finished Peter
Time for a well deserved rest & some sea air too?
What could be next?
Bright, camo, field grey, khaki or metal and leather?
Have a great break
Regards
Steve H

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Strange how different people see things. You have reservations and yet I think it is one of the best you have done. Mind you I love these brighter figures - Butterfly is an apt description.
Jim

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
the hood looks a bit odd from the front, but that is a sculpting rather than painting issue.

Peter
I quite agree, and I think that alot of the 120mm Verlinden sculpts sacrificed realistic poses for the sake of the engineering. But we must give them credit as they broke new ground at the time with new technology and paved the way for the masterpieces in resin that are available nowadays

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Off to Lewes today, so muddy Ouse air, but a change is as good etc etc. Feeling pretty rough with infected sinuses so not looking forward to the rail journey. Not sure what to do next, perhaps a bust....

Jim - I think part of the problem is that with the longer days I'm spending more time each day at the bench and concentrating for hours on the things makes every blob and mistake have more significance. I'm happier with him now that some distance has been imparted.

As you say, apt to call them butterflies, though they must have made lovely targets.

Neil - I think Verlinden has been given a rough press over the years and it's not surprising that he exited the scene in a huff. As you say, he paved the way, and his castings, if not always his sculpts, are still the best on the market (in my humble opinion).

D

Deleted member 6559

I'd forgotten that I'd also done this Verlinden bust of a Butterfly:

100_4516.JPG100_4518.JPG

The cloak is much more naturalistically done. The tunic is dark blue as it should be, but the cloak should be a lighter blue as with the full figure.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Have a nice rest in Lewes, the sea air will do you a poet of good.
Peter

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Blimey! Missed another one. What a shame as this was a real classic. Wonderful work on the tunic.