Verlinden 120mm Line Grenadier Officer.

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Happy new year Peter,
Splendid work so far and did I see a 38t on the horizon! Really enjoyed your cross over into armour previously so I’ll have to keep an eye out!

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Happy New Year Peter
Top notch as always

D

Deleted member 6559

Ralph - Cheers.

Si - A Happy New Year to you as well. I don't know why I've ordered a bit of armour (apart from Cpl Jones suggesting it), but I've had so many figure failures lately that perhaps it won't do any harm to have a go. It will be straight out of the box and brush painted (just to annoy the purists).

Lee - Many thanks also.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

A tank?

That is a blast from the past, Your tanks and 6 wheelers were just as good as your figures, brush or AB.

The uniform is looking very smart in white, crisp and nicely shaded too.

Frosty weather ahead, though it might be better down South.

I have a box out of the stash, Anna played holy hell when she caught me going up the attic ladders to my kits!

Time to get back to the bench as its back for work for everyone else!

Have a good day with the paint and have fun with your tank too.

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve

Sounds like you're putting that new knee to the test - careful now. It's the lot of the spouse to completely fail to see the appeal of little boxes of plastic I'm afraid.

No frost here, bright and sunny, but a lot colder.

The main part of the figure is now finished:

100_3495.JPG100_3496.JPG

I found this more difficult than the grenadier, as there were less folds and creases to exploit. That meant trying to get smooth tonal transitions across wider areas, hard to do when mixing up subtly different greys. The lower half of the figure actually has very little pure white, an attempt at a more zenithal approach.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
It's the lot of the spouse to completely fail to see the appeal of little boxes of plastic I'm afraid.

Morning Peter

Never a truer statement said of a modeler and their long suffering partner/spouse!

A stash is rarely understood outside of the modeling community and loft insulation federation LOL

Lovely work on the uniform, your photos are superb Peter, especially as you said with the long stretches of flat uniform at the rear of the figure

Well done.

Off to the surgery to have my stitches out today, Yay!

I think 1/2 of the irritation has been my allergy to elastoplast and any other type of medical sticky/adhesive substance.

Hopefully a clear bright dry and pleasant day for all, though the forecast is for widespread frosts across all the North tonight.

Have a good day with the paint and the final touches.

What next?

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

I'm sure it will be a relief to get rid of the stitches. When's the first marathon?

Hopefully the Telly Savalas bust will arrive soon so that I can do that next. I have the feeling though that Mitches have closed down for the festive period, so it may be a case of starting whatever arrives first.

Have fun.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Very very nice Peter.Patience of a saint painting white my friend.I tried on a 120mm Verlinden Russian front officer and seemed to remember i drybrushed humbrol white on top of a light grey basecoat.Think it ended up looking like it was rather chalky and covered in flour.
Rich.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Ho
Morning Peter

Never a truer statement said of a modeler and their long suffering partner/spouse!

A stash is rarely understood outside of the modeling community and loft insulation federation LOL

Lovely work on the uniform, your photos are superb Peter, especially as you said with the long stretches of flat uniform at the rear of the figure

Well done.

Off to the surgery to have my stitches out today, Yay!

I think 1/2 of the irritation has been my allergy to elastoplast and any other type of medical sticky/adhesive substance.

Hopefully a clear bright dry and pleasant day for all, though the forecast is for widespread frosts across all the North tonight.

Have a good day with the paint and the final touches.

What next?

Regards

Steve H
Hope you are being a good patient Steve,You could always be wheeled around and have a hooter,Bell and Stick.Be like Mr.Swaineys Mother in One foot in the grave,Clonk of stick,Blow on the whistle and ring of bike bell.He had a code book for get me a drink etc!!!,All the best fella.
Rich.

D

Deleted member 6559

Many thanks Richard. It is quite difficult not to make whites look too chalky. I think the secret is to use very little pure white and to build up the tones using various greys.

He's done:

100_3497.JPG100_3498.JPG100_3499.JPG100_3500.JPG100_3504.JPG

Just the right hand, cane, sword and plume to do today. The base is an old Verlinden one from the spares box.

Back to Kelly's Heroes for the next one.

Last edited by a moderator:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Another one done Peter. Would this be the first for the new year?

Cheers,
Richard

J

John Cole

Happy New Year Peter. Amazing painting again. Please keep the progress photos showing as it is such influence on what can be done and how.

As Im about to start some 1/35 figures, everything you do is so encouraging to me (as Im at the beginning of painting skill)

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - Yes, the first for 2019. Glad the New Year didn't start off with a failure.

John - A Happy New Year to you as well. I will keep all of the photos, though I'm not so good at showing true step-by-step painting. I'm planning a bit of brush painted armour soon, which may or may not be of help.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
peter

I know white is not your favourite colour but perhaps completing this will have changed your mind - great job.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Peter.

Yes, white holds no fear for me now. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 4539

Lovely painting Peter:smiling2:.
Now go the opposite way and paint a black uniform:rolling:.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thank you Ralph.

Black can also be a nightmare, though I have done a few black uniforms - German tankers etc. At least you don,t need layer upon layer of paint as you do with white.