Verlinden 120MM RTO Vietnam

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

verlinden-us-radio-operator-vietnam (1).jpg

From a 1/10 bust of the subject to a classic Verlinden 120mm figure. I made a version of this some while ago, but was thrilled when Richard's box of goodies revealed the complete kit. Hopefully I'll be able to do a better job this time around.

Lots of parts:

100_5607 (2).JPG

All beautifully cast as usual. I think we have here a young lieutenant using the company's radio to call in an air strike. That's the story anyway.....

D

Deleted member 6559

Ready for paint:

100_5608.JPG

I know the M16 cartridge is the wrong way round - to be adjusted later. I don't have a bayonet anywhere so I'm going to give him a sheath knife I made for another build.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Jim - Yes, also quite smooth featured. Having just worked on five busts in a row, it will be challenging to get back to a smaller scale.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
As Paul Hardcastle said "the average age of a soldier in Vietnam was N-N-N-N-N- ineteen" HERE

I am currently watching PBS 10 episode box set of The Vietnam War by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick for the third time. I cannot recommend it highly enough

Hopefully in two or three years time I will get to do some Vietnam AFV's.

Good luck with the smaller scale Peter. Looking on in eager anticipation

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter, your folds are getting better than even Jaime Olivers puff pastry dough. Nice painting...thought I missed the head but you have changed the rythm or process. Nice to be early in the posting and see the start. :smiling3:

NNNN..Nineteen

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - Thanks for getting in early. Working on busts recently has definitely helped with my confidence tackling drapery at this smaller scale.

As for Paul Hardcastle's 'Nineteen', I'm afraid it just reminds me of queueing to sign-on at the Brixton unemployment benefit office c.1985. A bloke in the queue kept singing it over and over again - he'd been at the whacky-baccy or perhaps something stronger.

Ralph - Many thanks my man. I've ordered decals for the name tags as I just can't paint lettering. 'US Army' on one side and surname on the other.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
As for Paul Hardcastle's 'Nineteen', I'm afraid it just reminds me of queueing to sign-on at the Brixton unemployment benefit office c.1985. A bloke in the queue kept singing it over and over again - he's been at the whacky-baccy or perhaps something stronger.

So we have met before! I thought I recognised your avatar :smiling5: :cool:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Love the change of pace and starting on the body, change is good.

Very subtle colour variations between the vest, jacket and webbing, great work Peter.

I have dozens of finished bodies with no heads LOL

Love UHU, smells of pear drops and comes from Germany.

I have finally sorted which is your current build, as its a Vietnam radio person but different scale!

I got the 2 mixed up, I had a senior moment whilst having a wrapping Christmas presents day, yesterday, and listening to Grave Perils on You Tube.

Amazing how our American cousins can miss read the English word!

Very misty this morning, and another full week ahead.

Have a good day with the head or equipment?

Regards

Steve H

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning Peter - don’t forget to clean out the flash from the handle when you sort the mag

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve - I am enjoying this one. I'm trying hard to get some more subtle nuances into the uniform shading. Many late night 'cabinet-sessions' spent looking at my work and trying to see how to progress.

Wrapping Christmas presents eh? How organised. I'm afraid we're very much last-minute shoppers - just can't face it all till near the time.

Colder, bright and sunny here at the moment. Lost a couple of the poplars over the road during the high winds we had, and I wouldn't be surprised if the farmer decided to take them all down, which would be shame.

Simon - Well spotted, thanks. I would have finally noticed it only when the paint started to go on.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Peter, another thing I spotted is that you glued the M-16s barrel stock upside down. The grooves are to be on top.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

That darned M16!!!! I'm not doing very well am I?

Thanks Richard. Now corrected - magazine on the right way round, barrel right side up and handle cleaned out.