Verlinden 120MM RTO Vietnam

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Next stage, and some of the gear painted and mounted:

100_5614.JPG100_5624.JPG

The uniform has had a coat of matt varnish which has brought out the greener pigments. For the packs and webbing I used Vallejo Brown Violet, which is actually very near to a faded dark OD.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
.... every time i see your figures i'm amazed of your technique.. and plus Vietnam era is my favorite period

Keep on doing what you are doing...

D

Deleted member 6559

Scottie - Thanks. I can't see much improvement myself.

Greg - Thanks also. Could you help re the chest patches? Is it US Army on the left breast and surname on the right?

ep-3552-2.jpg

The Peddinghaus set I've ordered doesn't have the camo versions unfortunately. Would the above ever have been worn in a combat situation? If not, I suppose I could just leave them blank to represent the velcro patches.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason Crausby

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jason
3B631FBB-25A8-4F2C-8C2E-54DAE9C4BC96.jpeg

Hi Peter
Another pic from my trip away...not Vietnam era but does it answer you question regarding name tapes and which side?

D

Deleted member 6559

Great Jason, many thanks. Not sure this version would have been worn in combat (see above).

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Scottie - Thanks. I can't see much improvement myself.

Greg - Thanks also. Could you help re the chest patches? Is it US Army on the left breast and surname on the right?

View attachment 362587

The Peddinghaus set I've ordered doesn't have the camo versions unfortunately. Would the above ever have been worn in a combat situation? If not, I suppose I could just leave them blank to represent the velcro patches.
Dear Peter you are painting 1st pattern uniform with the name tapes that were not on velcro (it has been adopted in the late 2000) but sewn and the color of both was green with the black letters and the NAME is on the right side (when you wear it) and US ARMY is on your heart (when you wear it)

Reactions: JR

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
View attachment 362588

Hi Peter
Another pic from my trip away...not Vietnam era but does it answer you question regarding name tapes and which side?
this is the famous jacket of Sgt Elvis "the pelvis" Presley.. he made his military service from 1958-1960 that was the typical 50/60 uniform in the early years during the Vietnam war you can see troops wearing full color uniforms..that changed very fast..

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Frosty this morning as predicted, and the rain has stopped, thankfully!

Great work, and such a change with the head last, I can really appreciate your schedule of work, I never get the heads done though LOL

As for being organised for Christmas, it one of those things, even if Anna wasn't a retired government auditor,

she is just too OCD organised and we don't know when I will be having my knee surgery yet!

We always have Christmas done, wrapped, packed and cards ready to post by 1st December, every year!

Sorry!

Did you know, Boots sell 25% of their year's sale of perfume on Christmas eve alone!

The last resort of the last minute Christmas shopper LOL

Have a good day with the paint, watch out for ice too

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

I'll probably do the head today, though what's putting me off is another camo helmet cover - time to bite the bullet.

I used to do all of the Christmas shopping, but Katherine started to complain that she felt left out. I was quite happy to hand over the reigns and let her worry about it. Now she is a last-minute person - frighteningly so.

I never forget a time at Christmas when I was managing a shop in Kensington High Street. Christmas Eve, closed the doors at 5.30 and got ready to dash off to Kings Cross for a journey North, when there was this mad banging on the windows. A distraught man wanted wrapping paper, but I couldn't let him in. He went wild, calling me all the names under the sun and even threatening death. Ah, the Christmas spirit...

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Glad you dodged a bullet there Peter. Christmas does bring out the worst in some people.

Uniform looking awesome. Hope all goes well with the top half.

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Christmas; who needs it? Should be fun this year with my granddaughter, who'll be 15 months old.

Pete - Glad you like it so far.

The head:

100_5625.JPG100_5626.JPG100_5629.JPG100_5630.JPG

I found it very difficult to work at this smaller scale again - it took me at least an hour to get my eyes adjusted. Not one of Verlinden's best heads, but OK.

Last edited by a moderator:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looks angry enough:smiling2: . Looks great. PaulE