Verlinden 120mm U Boat Captain

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter. I know those old Tamiya figs I was working on I just couldn’t get the look but in the 1/72 figs the sculpture were so much better and look so much better

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
He is looking good :thumb2:. I do like the base.
I don't know whether you remember but on the old forum there was a figure painter called Carl Startin. He did a U-Boat capt on a similar base.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Lee - It is funny how scale doesn't really decide the quality of figures - it's all about the sculpt. A good sculpt will always be paintable.

Ralph. Thank you.

Jim - Thanks. Do you mean Carlos Figureart? I do remember his superb U-Boat captain - the Alpine figure, I believe. His work was such an inspiration to me.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
That's the guy. He worked in oils and yet there is, to my eyes anyway, a similarity between your work and his. This leather jacket is an example.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Jim, if my work had just 1% of the quality of Carl's I'd be a happy man. A true master.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I know Carlos was before my time but did he not do a lot of armour blogs on MM as well as figures?

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - I think he did a few armour builds, but his speciality was figures. He went professional a while ago.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I know Carlos was before my time but did he not do a lot of armour blogs on MM as well as figures?

Excuse me Peter.
Steve he was on when we first joined
photo_382_128_128_90_s_c1.jpg
He had an avatar like this.his work can be found at https://www.puttyandpaint.com/Carlos-FigureArt-Startin
I have been looking at his work Peter I think you are comparable to him, you paint in acrylics, he in oil, that to me is the only real difference.
John.

D

Deleted member 6559

That's him John - though I always wondered about that avatar! Thanks for the kind words, but he's a million miles better than me. Something to aim for....

Reactions: JR

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter,
His avatar was also based around his user name as he is/was a bodybuilder.
regards Jim

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's him John - though I always wondered about that avatar! Thanks for the kind words, but he's a million miles better than me. Something to aim for....

Peter you do yourself down my friend, you will never believe how good you are .

Think Carlos was a doorman as well.
John

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Peter you do yourself down my friend, you will never believe how good you are .
John

Morning Peter

As John and I have something in common, which does have an impact on the above statement, we are both the proud owners of an original piece of Peter Day art work, and I am still so "super" chuffed with the Kelly's foursome.

I do apologize for the americanism.

I googled Carlos and have seen the Simca and figure sunk in the mud, and lots of his other work, including the U-boat figure and said coat.
Your coat is just as good, your face is as good but a different style which suits the facial characteristics of the head.

It is always good to have targets to aspire to, I think you would only need a small change to your palette to get similar face?

I guess you will just have to accept we all hold you in high regard as a figure/bust painter.

Cracking work with the U-Boat figure and his breakfast.

Just the trousers to do.

I am off to physio this morning, after a particularly irritating weekend of none stop niggling knee pains.

Unfortunately extra tablets didn't touch it!

Should be a good day with the paints, but still not much good light up here at the moment

Regards

Steve H

Attachments

• u boat.jpg
    u boat.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 13

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well said Steve . :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:
John .

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I agree with John and Steve. Carl is amazingly skilled but so are you. Your approach is different but both end results are stunning and of a standard most of us can only dream of.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Stop it people, you're embarrassing me. Of course I don't agree with you, but that's my prerogative! Carl has inspired me so much and I feel I have learned a lot from looking at his work. Some people just have that extra bit of ability that takes their work onto a different level, and he's certainly got it. That doesn't mean that I've got a downer on my own stuff - just that I can see where it needs to improve. That's part of the drive for me, and I think a lot of the point of doing this stuff.

Anyway, back to the U-Boot man:

100_3627.JPG100_3630.JPG100_3631.JPG

He really rang rings around me today, and only just missed being binned. I painted the kit legs and then decided to mount him on the base I'd made, which had turned out OK. Unfortunately, the feet were at such odd angles that I just couldn't make him stand properly, a gluey mess ensued and the base was ruined.

I then decided to take the drastic step of binning the legs and attaching a new pair, pinched from an old Amati figure. These needed cutting down and a patch pocket removing, but fortunately everything went as planned. He's now got his trousers tucked in his boots instead, and at least he stands upright.

I then painted and attached the binoculars, hands, and the sandwich, which I think is the best bit!

Now to make a new base...

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter.
Dam these things are sent to try us, glad you haven't binned it !
John.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi John - He's finished. He won't win any beauty contests, but he made it to the finish:

100_3635.JPG100_3636.JPG100_3637.JPG

Blimey.....

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Well you certainly made a silk purse out of a sows ear. Terrific save on the legs. Glad you stuck with this one until the end. I hope you had a well earned drink today:thumb2::cool:

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Steve. I don't know about silk purse. It's not a great sculpt, but I enjoyed painting it (though actually, only about half of the original kit was used in the end).