Verlinden 120mm U Boat Captain

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_3599.JPG100_3600.JPG

This is one that I've always passed over because, as you can see, it has a couple of problems. The most obvious is that the hands are way too big, following a rather complicated attempt by the sculptor to get them to hold the binoculars. I will try to re-position the arms and get him to do something else with his hands.

The other problem is the pretty awful face. I will try to find another head and will hopefully be able to remove the cap without damaging it.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Interesting to see what you can do with this. Not the most promising starting point but with your skills .... :thumb2:
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter.
They do look big, as for the face it must have been a bad day at the bench for the sculptor, have every confidence that you will make it into something worth while ............. or throw it into the bin. The latter I hope not.
John .

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Jim and John.

Definitely not Verlinden's finest hour. This is what I've come up with:

100_3601.JPG

I tried to remove the cap from the kit head, but it was no go. I then tried various spare head/cap combinations, but found they were all too small for the figure. This was the last resort, a Verlinden German head wearing a winter cap. The Kriegsmarine did have something similar made of grey leather lined with brown fur, so I think it will do.

The fact that the face is obviously eating something fitted into the scheme that I had in mind, so he has also been given a mug of coffee in one hand and a sandwich in the other. The kit binoculars fell apart when I tried to remove the flash, so these are from the spares box.

I also tried knocking up a bit of U-Boat slatted decking for the base:

100_3602.JPG

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter.
Perfect choice for the figure, and the base :thumb2: love those bolt heads and the deck at that angle.
John.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice additions Peter. I do hope you stick with this one until the end despite all its short comings:thumb2:

J

John Cole

Great change in his character. What I prefer to do as well :smiling5: (coffee with sandwich I mean). Bring on the end :thumb2:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Nice change of head, the original was grim!

Nothing better than a brew and butty, where ever you are in the world.

Well done with the decking for a base too.

I guess you will be sticking to the box colour scheme, blue ish jacket, grey ish trousers?

An opportunity to have a colourful scarf?

Enjoy painting the head today

warm, wet and windy weather on the way, everywhere

regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

John - Cheers. Not a great head either, but way better than the first.

Steve - Glad you like the changes. Work on this one is interrupted due to the arrival of two new Sarnia busts. More anon.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
A very nice conversion, the U Boat baseis a loverly idea. I feel guilty that you have been diverted from this by Lawrence.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter
I’m finding out if the face isn’t good the whole thing will not look good you can only put so much lipstick on a pig

D

Deleted member 6559

Peter - Just a head and hand swap, but hopefully it has improved the thing. Don't feel guilty - I'm loving doing the bust as well.

Lee - Funny thing is that though I agree about the head being important, I'm beginning to realise that the whole thing has to 'gel' for it to look right. I used to think that you could get away with so-so drapery if the head was OK, but it all matters and has to receive the same level of attention (he says!).

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
See what you mean Peter.
looks like he has a swollen mouth on one side, the only consolation is the painting is tops.
Keep going as the concept is good .
John.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers John - I believe he's meant to be chewing something, hence my addition of the sandwich. The head came with this figure who's eating a sausage:

s-l1000.jpg

(I inherited the head from Richard P).

D

Deleted member 6559

John - :thumb2:.

I've now done the leather coat:

100_3623.JPG100_3621.JPG

Quite a struggle, mainly because the base I was using, Vallejo Light Grey, kept curdling for some reason. Also, there was quite a lot of lining to do with so many seams. There is a slightly shiny finish, but I'm going to leave it in order to simulate the shine on the leather (why is grey leather always so naff looking? Very 1980s).