SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter
Such vibrant colours, well done.
Such an interesting link with
Van Gogh!
You are managing your time well at the moment, perhaps finished for Easter?
Lots of chocolate to celebrate?
We still seem to be on schedule for a bright and sunny Bank Holiday too.
I'll have 3 days off & Anna has a long list of "to do" work!
Enjoy the family and a little painting too
Regards
Steve H

Nap

SMF Supporter
First Name
Kevin
Many thanks for looking in and taking the time to comment chaps.

Richard, I've been interested in zouaves ever since coming across, and being intrigued by, Van Gogh's paintings of those he met in Arles:

View attachment 336939

An original French colonial zoauve of course, but a very similar uniform.

Nap - please don't look too closely next time!

Peter ....always good to see your figures

Nap

SMF Supporter
First Name
Kevin
Hi Ralph

Thought it was you ...not the dark side mate ...always good to see others modelling ...even if some do have legs ....

For those that don't know me I only paint busts !!!

Nap

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - He's a bit more colourful now - done the trousers and adding a New York regiment's bright blue facings - more later. Granddaughter time is all rather wonderful, and there are plenty of helpers around. I seem to be finding the odd half hour here and there to paint. As a diabetic, I'm afraid Easter chocolate fun ended a couple of years ago. My family never have managed to get hold of a sugar free egg. And yes, the garden looks unavoidable with this fine weather.

Nap - Many thanks for looking in.

Reactions: Nap
D

Deleted member 6559

The bottom half:

100_4472.JPG100_4473.JPG100_4475.JPG

Unfortunately, my camera tends to make the reds bloom somewhat, so the trousers have lost some of their shading. Colours used on the trousers were a base of Vallejo Dark Red, darkened with Camo Black Brown and Black Red, and highlighted with Scarlet. The paint has dried with a bit of a shine, but I'm loath to give it a coat of matt varnish as it tends to kill the reds to a flat brown. I'll see how it dries further.

Nap

SMF Supporter
First Name
Kevin
Like those reds Peter

As a figure it's got great conversion potential as well ...Papal Zouaves and of course other ACW subjects

Thanks for sharing

Nap

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Gorgeous Peter, and the figures not bad either:smiling5:

When I said about the red trousers, I was meaning it can be a difficult colour in large areas, for me anyway! You got it sorted though:thumb2:

D

Deleted member 6559

Nap - Thanks. It's taken me an awful longtime to get comfortable with reds. And yes, endless conversion possibilities - might be nice to reproduce a Van Gogh painting.

Si - I'm married!

Large areas of red are tough, especially as it's not a particularly strong pigment. Takes quite a few coats.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great work on him,Peter,loving the color,in the blink of an eye,it seams,
from start,he is just about done,by the time I,see it,always fantastic work,:thumb2:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Reds really suit your figures, well done and well done for persevering on your nemesis colours.

Looks like you might be able to get over the finish like with all the family support?

Its going to be a bright and sunny day after a crisp and misty start.

Have a great Bank Holiday with the family and hopefully a little painting too.

Regard

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Neil - Master of Nothing!

Steve - Yes, another invasion. The more the merrier I say.

Monica - Thanks for looking in. Should be finished today as the equipment is fairly simple.

Steve - Wife's off today so they're taking the baby swimming; should get this done in the window of peace offered. Already warm here, which feels so weird after last week's cold. Preparing to watch the Woody Guthrie programme on BBC4 tonight with my guitar-mad son. Trouble is that he gets so enthusiastic he talks all through these things.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Peter
This one is looking great. Love the colour palette especially.....always wanted Zouves in my ACW armies, but never got around to painting them.....
I’ll have to look for the Guthrie program, love his music, especially “Dust Bowl Ballads”.....perhaps you should write “this machine kills fascists” on your paint brushes :thumb2:
Get your son to look out “Mermaid Avenue”, by the way, it’s a good album , made using his lyrics (that came without music) to excellent effect.

D

Deleted member 6559

Tim - Thanks for all of the Woody Guthrie info. We watched the first programme on the 'Rock Island Line' song and thoroughly enjoyed it. My son went all Leadbelly for 24 hours or so.

Well, I didn't get him finished this session. Shenanigans with a few parts that looked rubbish after painting and had to be stripped down. All of the personal equipment is done though:

100_4476.JPG100_4477.JPG100_4478.JPG100_4479.JPG

The satchel and backpack were made of tarred canvas, so I' used dry-brushing to try and give a worn look.
There were also quite a few straps and buckles to make including a set for the backpack, which you'll see I decided to use after all.

The hands, musket and base to do next...