Verlinden 120MM Union Zouave

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_8379.JPG100_8380.JPG

I've made this figure a couple of times before, but I've never been satisfied with the final result. As it's still going for a reasonable price at Historex, I thought I'd get hold of another and try again.

I believe the figure is based on this painting of the 114th Pennsylvania Volunteer Reserves:

332c58b985eb493e8bb28d122e1a7dda.jpg

I will probably use this colour scheme, but am toying with the idea of blue trousers, which would require the removal of the braiding and the painting in of stripes:

d5a83699a3c3c1af7a22606614201613.jpg

Quite a few parts to this one, and a nice base:

100_8381.JPG100_8382.JPG

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I like this. Love that painting which he could well be based on. Those vibrant colours are right up your street.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Ralph - I'll try not to disappoint.

Jim - I've decided on the blue trousers, as I've done a couple of red ones before. The stance will be as the painting, with the musket held in the left hand, which seems more natural to me.

He's now built and ready for painting:

100_8383.JPG

There was quite a lot of work involved in putting this together. The belt buckle was damaged by a large pinhole, so I've replaced it with a more common version, something that happened in real-life as equipment wore out. It was made with metal foil and copper wire, as was the musket sling which replaced the kit item, which I damaged trying to get the casting block off. I also made a buckle and strap end to cover the join at the back where a length of strap for the water bottle has to be added.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking forward to this, but a Zouave needs red trousers surely. ;)
The painting looks like Troiani. Love his stuff, I’ve got all the uniform books and a signed copy of Troiani’s civil war that I picked up in Gettysburg many years ago...

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Tim. To be honest I hate painting red! The artwork is superb, really inspiring.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Know what you mean about red. I usually under paint with VJ cavalry brown these days, Seems to give a richer finish. Still takes lots of coats though :tears-of-joy:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Afternoon Peter

Looks like you should be about to post your 1st step, a head soon?

Mobile and laptop both working, and learning what to do with the new mobile after a dash to the Mobile shop yesterday.
I dropped mine and pranged the digitizer screen whilst decontaminating after collecting the laptop from the repairers!

What else ... .....?

But I wont say it!

Just another hit on the plastic card!

Hope you had a better weekend than I did, not difficult!

Back to work from Home tomorrow after spending this morning taking Anna for pre-osteoarthritis treatment testing , apparently the treatment is quite risky!

And further decontamination.

Enjoy the paint

Regards

Steve H

• Sad
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve.

Glad to hear that you're back in communication - hope the wallet isn't too much lighter. Also hope Anna's tests went OK.

Katherine and I have had a bit of a relapse with this virus thingy - both feeling very rough indeed. I've really had to force myself to get the paints out, but at least it takes my mind off feeling so ill.

A head of sorts:

100_8390.JPG

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Nice one Peter, I looked at some of these in 28mm when I was painting my union troops but the tunic decoration put me off :smiling2:
Good luck with this one

D

Deleted member 6559

Ralph - Cheers. Spent most of today sleeping. Could be worse...

Mick - A zouave in 28mm sounds like a nightmare. The braiding here is very well defined, so not too problematic.

Scottie - Thanks that man.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Peter, a real nightmare in 28mm is Napoleonic Scottish infantry.....kilts, bonnet bands, hose, lacing....and then red coats....and for gaming you will need at least a couple of dozen for a battalion....compared to that Zouaves sound like a walk in the park ;)

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Well done with the head, the pale complexion suits the auburn hair nicely

Sounds like another relapse for you both, but your anti body test was negative?

I guess it is still an unknown new virus and can beat the early tests.

Sleep is good with a little painting to sooth the itch to do something.

The new mobile should cover the cost to buy out my contract early as the deal is £8 cheaper a month with 6 months 1/2 price.

A much better mobile too.

Have a restful day with a little painting, just what the Dr ordered

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Tim - That does sound like madness. More than dedication needed there.

Steve - Yes, the tests we had at the beginning of this illness were negative, but I have been wondering about the Covid element. However, the symptoms aren't really right for that, so who knows? On to this chap's jacket today, which should be quite relaxing to do. Glad the tech problems are sorted.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Lovely work and so bright too, nice drapery.

Have you decided on the colour for the pants yet?

Debraided blue?

Sightly darker or lighter to avoid the double denim look?

Have fun either way.

Have a good day with the paints

Regards

Steve H