Verlinden 120mm USAAF Crewman 'Memphis Belle'

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

The aircraft was of course made famous by William Wyler's 1944 documentary Memphis Belle. A story of a Flying Fortress. Apparently, not all the film was shot in the same aircraft, as battle damage meant it was frequently under repair, although Wyler did use the same crew. The exciting combat chatter (''Stop yelling on that intercom!'') was added by the crew later in the sound studio as the footage was shot on 16mm silent film (and it is actual combat footage). Though not the first to survive 25 missions, the aircraft was the first survivor to return to the US, where the fundraising activities of the crew made it even more famous.

I like the 1990 film, though as Alan says, it is full of inaccuracies - just about everything that can go wrong, does go wrong on the mission, stretching belief beyond the limits. However, as Neil says, the youth and dynamics of the relationships of the crew are well caught.

Last edited by a moderator:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just sneak in at the back if I may Peter. Looks quite the painting challenge. The head has come out really well. Great stuff
We have sit on our hands ! Better behave Steve :smiling2:.

Thought I'd warm him Pete sorry for the intrusion :nerd:

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
He certainly looks as Tim has mentioned just back from a mission, tired and drained.
Think you've worked the face well Peter . :thumb2:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Wow Peter, you really are prolific aren’t you, I can hardly keep track!
looking forward to another masterly figure painting display.
Cheers
Paul

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Excellent work with your scalpel and paints giving the head a less aged and more tired look, it has been great success.

Well done.

I guess you will be revelling in the next paint session with all the materials on the body,

How do you start? from the lowest layer up, or top to bottom?

Enjoy it either way!

The weather could be wetter down South?

Its still dark here, I'm up too early with my damned knee!

Have a good day and hopefully a fully recovered household with no more relapses from C-19.

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

John - I thought I told you to sit on your hands! OK, you're allowed to type, and I'm pleased that you like our man.

Paul - If I stop working, the mojo ebbs. I hope I can pull this off.

Steve - I'm a long way from satisfied with the face, and I will try and make some adjustments today - typical of Verlinden that that is the weak point. As for painting the rest, it's about working from he top downwards. What I think I'll do today is start on the chest by blocking in the leather parts with black brown, then paint in the life vest and harness.

It's actually raining here, which hasn't happened for months - makes a nice change. Sorry to hear that your knee is still playing up - you've really been through it lately.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
The aircraft was of course made famous by William Wyler's 1944 documentary Memphis Belle. A story of a Flying Fortress. Apparently, not all the film was shot in the same aircraft, as battle damage meant it was frequently under repair, although Wyler did use the same crew. The exciting combat chatter (''Stop yelling on that intercom!'') was added by the crew later in the sound studio as the footage was shot on 16mm silent film (and it is actual combat footage). Though not the first to survive 25 missions, the aircraft was the first survivor to return to the US, where the fundraising activities of the crew made it even more famous.

I like the 1990 film, though as Alan says, it is full of inaccuracies - just about everything that can go wrong, does go wrong on the mission, stretching belief beyond the limits. However, as Neil says, the youth and dynamics of the relationships of the crew are well caught.

In the original MB film, Whyler didn't get the target correct. MB didn't bomb Wilhelmshaven that day. They bombed a tiny island called Heligoland. MB's actual 25th mission was a 'quick' run to Lorient. But other then that is is an accurate portrayal.

In fact the first 8th AF airman to complete 25 missions was a radio operator/gunner called Michael Roscovich

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Peter

one of my favourite Verliden figures of thatbscale - the texture of the leather look spot on

peter

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Love the flying jacket and that collar Peter.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Peter - Verlinden certainly did a fine job on this one - apart from the face!

John - Many thanks.

The top half is now finished:

100_6991.JPG100_6992.JPG

I haven't put in the stitching on the parachute harness yet, and might not do so unless I'm feeling more confident I won't mess it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Lovely work on the contrasting colours and super leather-work.

You had a really good day with the paints

its bright again but cold, B'rrr!

Perhaps some work in the garage latter, airbrushing?

Have a good day with the trousers

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

Glad you approve so far - it's certainly a complicated paint job, but the trickiest parts are over. I always have a good day with my trousers!

Hope you can get some AB work done, though it is a bit cold.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I like his face and the front and back of the jacket is superb.
Hope you're fully recovered now.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Jim. I've been tweaking the face as I go along - thought of something else I could do lat night, so we'll see...

The Covid 19 has left me very run-down, and though the coughing etc has stopped, I still seem to have a chest infection and sinus problems. Nothing serious though.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
The quality of your work with figures leaves me speechless, great job there.

Andy.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Peter
Great job on this one. Really like him.
Your Covid issues are probably post infection scarring on your sinuses and lung tissue from the infection. I have a similar issue which makes me breathless during anything vaguely strenuous. It will fade with time. Just keep positive.....

• Sad
D

Deleted member 6559

Andy. Very kind words, thank you. I'm absolutely loving working on this one.

Tim - Glad you like him. My wife Dr Scott(!) reckons it's also likely to be long term inflammation as well as a bit of scarring. Drowning in mucus at the moment (sorry for the image there chaps).

• Sad

NickT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nicholas
Great progress Peter - fantastic as usual, great skills, and glad you seem to be recovering o.k.
Nick T

D

Deleted member 6559

Nick - Thanks very much. I'll survive the CV thanks.

The legs are now done:

100_7001.JPG100_7002.JPG

I'm finding it quite hard to photograph this one as the reddish tones in the leather keep 'blooming', an affect my camera has on reds. I've tried various background colours and by further editing this is reasonably close to the original, though the flying suit is slightly more muted.

The leather was painted by first putting on a coat of black brown, then building up the base with fairly dry layers of saddle brown in order to pick up the texture. Leather brown was then used for highlighting, then the whole was given a sepia wash to tone it down and further bring out the texture.