Verlinden 200MM 8th Army Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Great paintwork, both with the weather beaten face and the muted palette for the shirt and equipment.

Are you up to 1:16 yet?

Over the worst of the flu too?

The BBC has snow on the Pennines for tomorrow?

Have a good day with the paints and the weather too.

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Many thanks for looking in Steve.

Glad you like our man. The lighter tones were quite challenging, especially getting a good balance between the skin and the uniform.

I'm going to disappear for a while and do some private work for a friend, then it's possibly back with a bust, though the level of interest in figure work is so low on the site at the moment that I might not bother. I think figure painting as part of military modelling has had its day.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Peter

Very nicely painted. I see why you found it challenging - the colour tones are quite similar but the balance between the flesh and uniform look right.

Good luck with the next project.

I tend to agree with you to a degree that figure modelling is not very popular here, in that there are a few of us who post figure models compared to those who build and post vehicles and aircraft. But I do think that there is interest from the vehicle modellers in figures painting - after all your threads regularly get hundreds of views and a lot of the comments are from vehicle modellers.

I look forward to you returning with another bust.

Peter

First Name
Jason
Lovely work Peter...we are always drawn in by your face painting work which is excellent as usual but special mention should be made if the bayonet..great metalwork ..really shows the quality of the job overall!!
Jason

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I agree that figures are the poor relation when it comes to modelling,Think its heyday was 1980s and 1990s.Im sure the armour and diorama fraternity enjoy the figure articles as i know many afv guys who shy away from crew members as figure painting is a dark art to them.Id blog some of my sculpting projects but gets very longwinded and if i considered myself capable and of a higher standard id share my progress.I find a few other forums very cliquey and mutual sucking up to a certain few who levitate themselves to a higher plain whilst the rest look on.
Pip pip onk onk chaps.
Richard.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Hey Peter don't you go anywhere! and don't stop posting please.
Just because we are in the minority doesn't mean there's no place for us here.
I too look at other forums but I wouldn't dare post there.
Lots of us on this forum find your work interesting and inspiring, and if we don't comment very often maybe that's because we have run out of superlatives.
Truthfully I think your painting is in such a league that it would be like saying to Michelangelo ' I don't think you got the hair quite right, Mike.....'
so maybe people just look and enjoy?
I don't make tanks but I enjoy looking at the builds all the time without commenting, as I don't feel I have anything to contribute.
Just my two penn'orth!
Neil
PS , I love the Desert Rat, but I do think his naked left arm is crying out for a tattoo.......?

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks chaps.

I'm going through a bout of depression at the moment, exacerbated by the 'flu, so everything looks a little grim. I must admit that I was feeling a bit silly just plugging away with figure posts when it was such a lonely activity on the site (apologies to Jason, Steve and Peter G). However, the same situation appears to exist on all of the other sites, and short of joining the dreaded Planet Figure, it looks like I'm stuck with it. I don't expect comments, and am grateful to anyone who visits, but it would be nice if there were a few more figure painters here (what happened to the Figure GB by the way?) to dampen the echoes.

Thanks for the comments on the Desert Rat - glad you like him. A tattoo Neil? Perhaps another time!

I'll shut up now and get on with it.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I think figure painting as part of military modelling has had its day.
I don't think you are right there. OK figure painters will always be fewer than aircraft or vehicle modellers but many people appreciate and enjoy the skills of people like Jason, Peter G, Steve, yourself and others. You guys forget just how difficult figure painting is and that is perhaps why many shy away from even having a go.
You keep posting and we'll keep being impressed :thumb2:

As for your Tommy he is super. As others have said you have coped with the muted tones really well. He is a real character.
Jim

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Peter I agree with everything Jim has said so well put, he has away with words that man :thumb2:
The GB is still running but no one is active on it at the moment all done by the look of things, I took part in it and I have to admit enjoyed it and was very pleased with the result.
Please take a short break and come back and WOW us.
Pete.

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Peter sorry forgot to leave a comment .
I my opinion this is one of the best pieces you have done it looks stunning to me. :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: 11/10
Pete.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Peter,

Another fine piece, reckon he joined in up just after WWI and never left when WWII started. Please stay with us all mere mortals in 'here', I dont get much time to paint in the evenings with other things getting in the way, which is why my updates are far and between, plus I don't get many comments on things i do post, so sometimes feel like I cant be bothered as you never know if anyone else is bothered either :smiling: .
Hope you feel better soon, I went through a similar 'Rut' recently, but in the end I had to force myself to pick the brushes up and get back into it.
Take care chap and see you back in here soon. x

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter

Although I don"t post a lot nor do I build a lot I do enjoy looking in to see what everyone is up to. Amongst my favorite threads are your figures. I admire your skill and your persistence in producing great pieces one after the other. Continue to challenge yourself and make each project a little better than the previous one. Who knows I may pester you in to going for high contrast finishes or maybe even, shock horror, a fantasy subject.

Keep it coming.

From an ex member of 4th Hadleigh cubs.

John

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Further to above post, just to document my claim.

scan0037.jpg

John

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ah Simon.......... those were the days. Simpler times, leaping wolves was just what we used to do as we walked to school and back again, 5 miles, up hill both ways.

(In fact the leaping wolf was an honorary badge that you got if you managed to get a certain number of other badges, if my memory is correct)

John

First Name
Andrew
Peter,
I too am guilty of not posting much but regularly get pleasure seeing what you're up to. SORRY! I love your work and would miss it if you stopped posting.
As for depression, it's been plaguing me for a while now too, which is why I've been quiet. I think our battle with insurance over our house flood is about to end - 19 month's later! Then I had a series of painful accidents. It's never one thing, just life getting on top of you. My mojo is returning and I hope that yours does too. Don't count the numbers, it may be quiet here but you have a few true friends who enjoy seeing what you're up to.
Looking forward to your next figure.
Andy

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Snow predicted over higher ground on the Pennines later today, that should be fun, not!

Some wise comments and definitely worth thinking about, I went over to Planet Figure for a look see, and its either Da Vinci, Angelo Renaissance quality or worse than You Tube but doesn't have a friendly forum feel at all!

Nothing like here, and as you rightly said, none of the other 5 forums I popped into have a strong figure presence at all.

The figure GB was quiet until yesterday too, I need to update my bust!

I need to pop out and get a new tap for the kitchen sink, as the spray head sheared off last night as I was pulling in out of its holder to rinse off my cup!

There was a cartoon spray of water across the kitchen and some sharp words from Anna too!

Some time on your friends work should help and back with a fresh project when you are ready.

Have fun and take care

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks for your kind and encouraging words chaps - it means an awful lot ( John B - we all know that it was the 5th Hadleigh Cubs that were the best).

Still feeling way under the weather, but I have been painting and will post the results separately.