Verlinden 200MM 8th Army Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looking good Peter.... I often wonder why there is a real shortage of quality British figures out there..
Jason
It's not easy to replicate teeth like that Jason... :smiling5:

Peter, what a nice rendition of a weather beaten desert rat...you're right about the secret weapon...makes a horrible wound to treat. :smiling6:

I don't know if the campaign was long enough to create leatheriness of the skin from the harsh weather...scorching hot in the day, cold at nights with occassional sandstorms.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Super work on the Desert Rat's head, and those teeth!

Reminds me of Jack, the conductor on , ""On the Buses!""

The busts are really keeping you busy and back on the bench.

Well done with the Kornilov bust too.

Looks like a few days of quiet weather

Have a good day with the paints

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Jason - Brits just aren't as popular as Nazis it seems.

Richard - That face is more the result of tobacco and a sugar-rich diet, though, if he's been up and down the desert several times between 1940 and 1943, the sun will have taken it's toll. Actually found a few more wrinkles around the yes that I'd missed.

Steve - Awoken to heavy rain this morning. Our man does have Jack's gnashers alright - wonder if he has that same leery laugh? Trip to Dover on the cards, so may not paint today - we'll see if I can get out of it.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Mick - it's a great sculpt.

A bit more work done:

100_5506.JPG

I'm really surprised how much detail there is on the shirt - that amount of wrinkling is unusual for Verlinden (worthy of Moz Corry in fact), and interesting that it doesn't really show on the box art.

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Peter the amount of detail you have picked out is brilliant, to me it looks very real :thumb2: .
I'm very jealous of this one .
Pete.

D

Deleted member 6559

Pete - If the detail is there, you can paint it. Verlinden have done a good job on this one, making it a pleasure to work on.

Scottie - Thanks. It's taken me many years to get anywhere near confident painting light colours. I used Vallejo Stone Grey for the base of the shirt - it's an excellent, opaque pigment.

It also struck me while working on this one that I do follow a plan with torsos, starting at the right front then working to the left, continuing across the back and round again to the right arm. The main reason is that I tend to rest the little finger of my right (brush) hand on the model to steady myself, which is better done on unpainted sections.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Wow, quite the old campaigner. PaulE

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Looking good Peter I’ll try to keep up

D

Deleted member 6559

Paul - Marched up to the barracks gates by his dad when he was a fifteen year old tearaway (as my Granddad was) and been in ever since.

Lee - Thanks for looking in.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi no excuses sorry for missing the start Peter .
Certainly has the weathered look of someone exposed to wind and sun.
Brilliant painting as we have come to expect .:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks for taking the time to comment chaps. Just put on the final touches of paint, then photos of the finished article.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
You have certainly brought out the character in this guy. Especially well done given the predominance of paler tones. I really like him.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Another terrific bust Peter. A very cheeky chappie. Lovely work all round