Verlinden 200mm Croatian Hussar Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_5131.JPG

I started this yesterday in an attempt to kick start the mojo, and I think it worked.

This is Verlinden's depiction of a C16th Croatian hussar, the earliest of this type of cavalryman, and from where all the later types developed. They were initially raised from bands of brigands to protect the borders of the Magyar kingdom.

I've had a bash at the head:

100_5127.JPG100_5128.JPG100_5130.JPG

Not much scope for extensive tonal shading, but it has character.

The rest of the kit:

100_5132.JPG

And some reference:

d909f178cb8213b30a1ddd15960c29ec.jpg

I'll finish my current 1/16 Dragon figure before carrying on with this. Please bear with me.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
While you finish that I will grap a good seat.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
You know how much I enjoy these 'colourful characters' so I'm in. Great face painting.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Welcome along John and Jim.

The decoration on the box art tunic looks fairly simplified compared to the illustration, which I presume is the source. I think I'll add some gold at least.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cat removed from seat, but back on my lap, carry on Pete!!

• Haha
Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
That's pretty interesting...a Hussar with a top hat Peter. I wonder if it was where it originated as I thought they appeard in the late 19th century.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Bob and cat - welcome.

Richard - Pretty weird outfit. Not sure about the top hat idea - probably an accidental resemblance. Some think the word 'Hussar' may come from the old Magyar for 'brigand.'

Scottie - Welcome. I'll do my best.

Ralph. Many thanks. Must finish the Dragon figure first though.

D

Deleted member 6559

Back to this chap, and I've got the head done:

100_5148.JPG100_5149.JPG100_5150.JPG

I first did a bit more work on the face, adding warmer tones generally and some darker reds in the more shaded areas. Next, I painted the cap, using Vallejo Buff to give a nice yellowish tone. I've decided to go with a green, purple and gold colour scheme, hence the hatband - there is a lot more highlighting to the fur, but it hasn't come out too well in the photos.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Back to this chap, and I've got the head done:

View attachment 353337View attachment 353338View attachment 353339

I first did a bit more work on the face, adding warmer tones generally and some darker reds in the more shaded areas. Next, I painted the cap, using Vallejo Buff to give a nice yellowish tone. I've decided to go with a green, purple and gold colour scheme, hence the hatband - there is a lot more highlighting to the fur, but it hasn't come out too well in the photos.
Peter,
That is the nuts. I think the fur on the hat looks excellent.

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Peter I had to do this on Scottie build to everyone has used up all the superlatives for your work which you make look so easy (I know it's not) so :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: 11/10 from me.
Pete.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
That's a very quirky bust Peter and a great start. The box art reminds me of the actor Brian Murphy from George and Mildred :smiling2:

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Great character. So unusual. You have definitely worked your magic with this guy.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Many thanks for the encouraging words chaps. I haven't done a bust for ages and I'm really enjoying this one.

Mick - Hopefully he doesn't look as gormless as poor old George!

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

What a great head, super sculpt and well painted too, it does seem a little odd with the flying style helmet and top hat, most unusual!

The ecclesiastical purple is really rich and looks the business, well done Peter.

Its got cold, wet and wild up here, another typical British August, though it never seemed to be like this when we had our summer holidays in the 60' & 70's!

Global wetting!

Have a good day with the paints and the unusual bust

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Glad you like him so far Steve - it is a bit of a mad uniform, but I suppose the elements are mainly late medieval.

Rotten weather here, cold and wet. August has definitely changed over the past few years - looks like we're going to have to get used to it.

Granddaughter due to visit tomorrow, so modelling will slow down for a week.

D

Deleted member 6559

The torso painted:

100_5153.JPG100_5154.JPG

I was going to add more gold braid to the sleeves, but the modelling there didn't allow for a smooth enough finish, so I left it as it was.

Next the shield. I have some Miniart decals which may be of use:

100_5151.JPG