Verlinden 200mm Davout Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_3140.JPG

As I'm still waiting for the kit to turn up for my Varangian project, I thought I'd dig this one out and have a go. It's Verlinden's 200mm bust of Marshall of France Louis Nicolas Davout, a famous bald man (to look up to for those of us who are also follically challenged!).

I've more of less finished the head:

100_3144.JPG

The eyes were pretty tricky to match up, but then they always are. I've tried to experiment further with Vallejo Black Red, the aim being a cooler palette - I've also added a lot of Off White to the Flat Flesh base colour for the same reason.

Just a three part kit, including the base:

100_3139.JPG

All of that gold lace should be fun to do.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Another PDiddy bust special! Good luck with all that braiding

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Another cracking start, the colour looks better than the box art

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter

I like the revised palette and you have done another great job. Next time you want to stretch yourself I think you could add some more varying colours to your palette. Mauve, Blue and green for instance. You might also like to try some drawing ink washes to add subtle colours.

John

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - I'm fairly used to Verlinden braiding after having worked on quite a few of their 120mm Napoleonics. I'm not too frightened by it (famous last words!).

Mick - The box art doesn't do the bust any favours, that's for sure.

John - If anything I've been trying to reduce the number of colours on the palette by way of experimentation. I agree though, that adding some new ones will be well worth a try, and the way to go in the future.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Another great start on the head Peter

You can really see the cooler palette and the eyes do look well matched too.

The braiding will be a real treat for the eye when its finished.

The challenge of using different colours in your palette will be interesting to see, when you have a go.

Enjoy all that gold, break out the sun glasses,LOL

Have a great day with the paint

regards

Steve H

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Grandad ! :smiling2:
I'm looking forward to the uniform....... esp the braid, you've done it so well in the past. You certainly excel at it.
Should I stand or sit, by the way is the kettle still leaking ?
John.

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Of course the subtleties are lost in the photo! I wasn't expecting a great sculpt, but was pleasantly surprised on opening the box. It's getting to that time of year where light is an issue - shorter days etc - so my activities will be somewhat curtailed (can't seem to work under artificial light).

Morning John - As it happens off for a spell of Granddad duty this afternoon, so work on the current modelling projects will be halted for a couple of days. You've therefore got time to make yourself comfortable, but we still need a new kettle!

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I do like the head. Looks to present some intricate painting on the clothes. Enjoy your granddadding.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Jim

The head is finished:

100_3150.JPG100_3151.JPG100_3153.JPG

The collar was given a coat of Matt Black, then the lace-work was picked out first with Bronze. Highlights were then added with Old Gold, then the background colour was touched in with Dark Blue. Finally, the lines and detail were re-defined with black again.

That's it for a couple of days.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter, I thought for a while that you would have learned your lesson on Verlinden figures but surprised this bust looks good. You've cracked that awfull spell when I see a Verlinden figure with your splendid painting of the head. I wouldn't have believed it if you had told me it was one.

Exceptional painting so far...his coat and braiding will be a treat,

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Richard

The main reason that I keep going back to these Verlinden busts is that you can get three for the price of one by other manufacturers. And to be honest, you can't always guarantee a good sculpt whoever you buy from - I've had some real horrors from people with far better reputations. In my experience at least Verlinden busts are beautifully cast and always paintable.

I also think it's really sad that Verlinden figures are knocked so much. We have a lot to thank the guy for in the first place - he was a pioneer, and his quality control was exceptional.

Last edited by a moderator:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter, not knocking the guy off for his quality in resin casts as they are clean and near bubble free but he should have invested on a good sculptor the moment he got bad feedback. There are some good misses and those have become collectors items and I do have some of them. I do however have to treat them as single figure subjects as they aren't 1/35 as they are labelled as.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Yes, such a pity that the sculpting wasn't better. Some of the early Belgian releases are very good, but things went a bit pear-shaped after the move to the USA.

D

Deleted member 6559

Posted in wrong thread - re Richard below.....

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hang on Peter, are you talking about the Varangian figure? Can't be the Verlinden bust as it looked pretty neat.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

I was talking about the Varangian Richard, sorry!

Here's where Davout's at:

100_3157.JPG100_3158.JPG

The gold braid is nearly there - just some refining to do. I decided the best way to go about it was to coat everything in black, then pick out the details. The gold was built up with layers of Vallejo Bronze and Old Gold, and highlighted with a Liquitex artist's pure gold.

Just the larger award and sash to do now. I've noticed that in contemporary portraits of our subject the sash looks more like a deep pink in colour, so that's the way I think I'll go.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Superb work on the braiding, your metal work always looks spot on.

Shame about the other figure, but it was always a risk.

Looks like you will be finished today.

Have you anything topical with the 100th anniversary of the end of WWI coming up?

Have a good day with the paint

Regards

Steve H