Verlinden 200mm Guard Artillery Officer

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Many thanks everyone.

I'm already Night Gardened out after a couple of hours Richard!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Well done indeed.......now enjoy your visit with your granddaughter........ Gotta love 'em!
Cheers, Rick H.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Another from the bench ( table ) to be proud of Peter.

Enjoy your time with little one, they grow up so quickly.

D

Deleted member 6559

Rick - Thank you. Granddaughter well established - toys everywhere, books removed from the shelves etc.

John - Thanks also. I've already done my back in carrying Remi.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Just a quick update. Added the medal:

View attachment 401151

It's now a campaign medal instead of anything more elaborate.
Peter

Again another amazing effort!! Such a realistic face and great finish on the clothes and bearskin.

Simply stunning!!!!

ATB

Andrew

D

Deleted member 6559

Andrew - Many thanks. I've got another bust by the same sculptor in the stash - a medieval subject.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Super finish even without the medal, well done.

Morning again, I thought I had posted this yesterday, but with the Alarm service engineer arriving at 07:30 must have been a bigger distract than I thought, as the day just flew by with all the post service disinfecting and then one of the cats off to the vets for their booster in the afternoon, a very full holiday day off!

Another great finish Peter, once you get started, the results are always front of cabinet, and you have had some real cracking figures and busts recently.

Hopefully our back will ease as the weeks goes day.

Off to find your next victim

Regards

Steve H

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just finished it nicely. Quite superb Peter.

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Sounds like you had a lot to keep you pre-occupied. I damaged his upper lip trying to clean off a snudge with a cotton bud, so a bit of touching-up required this morning.

John - It does seem to have added just that little touch of something. Glad you like him.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Simply stunning Peter,

I do have a couple of dumb questions about this period of figures though. Was this a normal battle uniform or was this a parade type of uniform? If this was a battle uniform, then I could see these poor guys falling over in the hot summer sun during the fight. I would think the bear skin head gear would be so hot, one would almost sweat to death with it on, even as an officer...

Also, wouldn't some sort of helmet be a better choice in battle and offer more protection? If it is a parade or everyday uniform, please disregard. I know very little about the Napoleonic period, but it is quite interesting. That medal is truly superb work!!!

Prost
Allen

D

Deleted member 6559

Allen

This is a full dress uniform. For the field he would have still worn the coat and waistcoat, but would have stowed away the bearskin cords and plume and perhaps covered the whole thing in an oilcloth. He would also have probably removed the epaulettes and let the gorget signify his rank. The headgear wasn't about protection, rather it was about making the wearer look taller and more imposing. However, before a major battle the French in particular used to add as much full dress as possible - plumes were a means of identifying regiments and the splendour would have intimidated the enemy.

In the past, anybody but farm workers would have kept their clothes on in the heat (though they may have switched to lighter fabrics). The upper echelons of society put up with heat (though of course they didn't have to move much) and military commanders would have expected the same of their men. The dress for Egypt:

512186asans_titre1.jpg

The problems for the French started during cold weather, when the didn't have enough clothing, as on the retreat from Moscow:

SF1636.jpg

Reactions: JR

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Thanks for taking the time to clear that up Peter. I guess I'll have to do a little reading up on the subject when I get a break from work. It seems a very interesting period in history and the different uniforms worn at the time...

Prost
Allen

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Allen. You pick it up as you go along. I've also been reading a lot of C19th literature - George Eliot, Elizabeth Gaskell, Thomas Hardy etc- and you learn a lot about social mores.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Outstanding Peter. I like your light effects on this bust. It really does enhance the realism. Beautiful work all round