Verlinden 200mm Lasalle Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_8493.JPG

While waiting for some 1/16 figurers to arrive, I thought I'd have a go at this Verlinden bust. It depicts Antoine-Charles-Louis, Comte de Lasalle, a General de Brigade under Napoleon. A 'flamboyant adventurer', and dashing leader of the light cavalry, his impetuosity finally saw him killed at the Battle of Wagram, 1809.

220px-Antoine_Lasalle.jpgLasalle (1).jpg

The bust is not a great likeness, but it's done well enough and should be nice to paint. There are just three parts, including the plinth:

100_8494.JPG

All very sharply modelled and cast. Should be a quickie.....

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
That has some challenges :rolling: Those braid things across his chest and the fur collar. The box art looks rather 'dull'.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Quick you say , should I sit down ?

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I made it.What a rather striking moustache and Pantaloons.Seem to remember me attempting a Historex plastic one in late 80s.Will you paint some of the toot and tatt i sent you mate or is it bin stuff.
Pip pip onk onk from Makka Pakka and Igglepiggle.

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Jim - I don't know about the uniform, but that hair is causing me problems at the moment.

John - Yes, be seated.

Ricardo - He's quite a dandy isn't he? Not sure about the toot and tat - have you sent more, you naughty person?

• Love
Reactions: JR

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking forward to seeing you work your magic on this Peter.

The complexion in the box set is much darker than all of the pictures of him I've found. Is this because the box art has it wrong or because contemporary paintings want to portray a certain racial stereotype?

I'm sorry you won't disappoint us!! No no pressure intended off course!!

ATB

Andrew

D

Deleted member 6559

Andrew - Interesting point about the complexion. Prior to the C20th it was considered more genteel to have a pale complexion - only the poor, who worked in the fields, had a tan. For that reason, aristocratic portraits nearly always show a pale skin, there being no way that someone of Lasalle's status would let themselves be portrayed with a campaign tan - it's probably likely, too, that he would have stayed out of the sun as much as possible. That all changed when the rural poor were herded into the factories and never saw the sun and the rich discovered foreign travel - a tan then became a sign of wealth. As for the box art, Verlinden always did prefer dark complexions whatever the subject - just a personal whim of the artist I suppose.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Good luck with all the gold braiding. He will certainly look the part once done. Good luck sir!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hes a fine looking cad sorry chap!!

Grabbed a seat, have got a 1/16 tamiya figure, might have a go at some stage. So hoping to watch and learn!

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Jim - I don't know about the uniform, but that hair is causing me problems at the moment.

John - Yes, be seated.

Ricardo - He's quite a dandy isn't he? Not sure about the toot and tat - have you sent more, you naughty person?
No mate i havent sent anymore bits n bobs.My supplies have been exhausted figurewise.
Rich.

D

Deleted member 6559

Lee - Keep an eye on him for me.

Steve - The braiding is always heart-in-the-mouth stuff.

Bob - Apparently he was a bit of a tearaway - hard to control and always off on impetuous charges. It's what got him killed in the end.

Richard - :thumb2:

The head:

100_8495.JPG100_8496.JPG100_8497.JPG

I may darken the hair with a wash or two, as it's looking a bit red at the moment.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andrew - Interesting point about the complexion. Prior to the C20th it was considered more genteel to have a pale complexion - only the poor, who worked in the fields, had a tan. For that reason, aristocratic portraits nearly always show a pale skin, there being no way that someone of Lasalle's status would let themselves be portrayed with a campaign tan - it's probably likely, too, that he would have stayed out of the sun as much as possible. That all changed when the rural poor were herded into the factories and never saw the sun and the rich discovered foreign travel - a tan then became a sign of wealth. As for the box art, Verlinden always did prefer dark complexions whatever the subject - just a personal whim of the artist I suppose.
Thanks Peter for the insight. So in summary it came down to social class and snobbery. I'll squirrel that one away!

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Interesting chap Lasalle, a bit like Custer but with brains......his head has come out well Peter.

D

Deleted member 6559

Neil - Cheers. He looks nothing like Lasalle, but it's quite a nice sculpt anyway.

Ralph - Thank you.

Tim - Not sure about the brains, but very like Custer. Interestingly he had a presentiment of his death in the days before the battle and wrote several letters to be delivered should he be killed, including one to Napoleon petitioning for the care of his family. He was shot between the eyes by a Hungarian grenadier.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter. Nice start as always watching JR closely sir