Verlinden 200mm Medieval Soldier Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

s-l300 (8).jpg

I didn't want to start a thread on this one before finding out if it was going to be another failure or not. I've struggled all day with the head, but I think it's a goer, so here we are.

Another David Holmes sculpture, this time of a medieval man-at-arms. Like the archer I painted recently, he's wearing the badge of the John Talbot, 1st Earl of Shrewsbury, so that places him at the time of the Hundred Years War. He's wearing a Robin Hood cap, actually called a bycocket, and fashionable at the time:

bycocket-decretals-of-gregory-ix-40v-170x300.jpg

Given the lack of armour, I would suggest that this is in fact another archer:

azincourt-battle-of-agincourt-hundred-years-war-middle-ages-14th-century-png-favpng-nxiv8WaMXv...jpg

So. here is the work so far on the head:

100_6369.JPG

The sculptor has really gone OTT on the wrinkles, which were an absolute pain to sort out. Nowhere near finished yet, but I feel it's getting there. It took quite a time to adjust to the smaller scale.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
You've got a lot of character into that face :thumb2:
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Ralph and Jim

I'm calling the face done:

100_6374.JPG

I could drive myself mad trying to resolve the wrinkles around the eyes, so enough is enough. The red of the cap should help restore some balance. There will also be a lot of detail on the torso to even out the interest.