Verlinden 200mm Panzergrenadier Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_7976.JPG

I've decided to revisit a bust which featured as my first post when I joined the forum in 2018. It's Verlinden's 200mm Panzergrenadier. I was disappointed with the finish at the time, mainly because I felt I'd done a bad job on the ammo, and it ended up in resin heaven (or hell), which I have always regretted.

This is how it comes:

100_7977.JPG

There are just a few of the ammo rounds shown here, there being 60 in all, which all have to be mounted individually. I may not use them as they do cover the camo somewhat, or at least place them on a backing strip to make them removable.

I plan to do the smock in Italian camo, as worn by Max Wunsche here (in Normandy with Kurt Meyer):

Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1988-028-25A,_Frankreich,_Invasionsfront.jpgww2-italian-german-elite-camouflage_360_98c1b5ccecacf5e1e409d5345a6ca478.jpg

(I'm waiting for a 1/16 Max Wunsche figure by Young Miniatures). No painting today as my new brushes didn't arrive with the post until 4.30pm, grrrrrrrr!

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Oh dear , more Verlinden teeth!
at least this proves he wasn't totally biased against the English!

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Neil. Yes it's one of those Derek Holmes sculpts, which are 'distinctive' but eminently paintable.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Lovely head , Not!

I guess the spare heads will come in useful yet again?

No brushes either!

You must be as fidgety as a cat on a hot tin roof!

Hopefully some painting action soon?

I'm still making up test paint strips on plastic card, between all the other stuff.

Its a really wild windy day here, a prelude to the next mini heatwave?

Perhaps, as its already 15 C outside

Have as good a day as no brushes or bust can bring you!

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

I'm going to use this head as I quite like it. The criteria is whether it's paintable or not, and this is. The brushes turned up late afternoon, too late to work, and my son picked up some for me in town yesterday, so we're all set. How far I get before going away on Friday depends on my granddaughter who is due for the start of a two week-long visit today - she does like joining Granddad at the table for a painting session.

You might have to get the brushes wet before the weekend, as it looks like it may be too hot to paint then.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
A nice job on a fuggly sculpt.Seem to remember giving you this bust previously or am i in the realms of fantasy.
Ricardo.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Richard. Yes the first version was indeed a gift from your good self. He is a funny looking bloke isn't he?

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Jason

There's an old thread on about page 9 of Figures Under Coctruction, WW1 and After.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Has it really been 2 years! doesn't feel like it

An improvement on your first time, but love the gold tooth again, nice one.

The box art really doesn't showcase the quality of the sculpt, does it!

Looks like a busy time ahead and some nice weather too, enjoy the break and sun!

I shall try and wet the brushes, we shall see!

Have a lovely break

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Jim - Cheers.

Steve - Not sure there is much improvement, but thanks anyway. The box art doesn't do him any favours, that's for sure. My granddaughter arrived yesterday armed with her own paints, ready to join Granddad at the bench - that and the heatwave will slow progress.

D

Deleted member 6559

The non-camo parts of the front have are done:

100_7991.JPG

The turned back sections of the smock have been painted as per reference for the underside, which should be a pale base colour with the pattern showing faintly though - hopefully it should contrast with the rest of the smock. I think the head looks much better swaddled in the scarf as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I say that's cracking Peter.

I also liked the photo of the shed, nice green 4bo, oh and the smock:smiling3:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
That is a very nicely painted head. I'm not sure whether I like the slightly caricature sculpting but certainly gives the guy character. I imagine that if attempted by a less skilled painter than yourself it may look unnatural whereas with your brush skills he looks good.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

John - Only you could notice the 4bo shed. Not aware of where it is on the planet, but I bet he's glad that he's got an Italian camo smock to go with it.

Jim - I don't like these Derek Holmes faces really, but at least this one was paintable - I've failed with a lot of others. Many thanks for your kind words, though I perhaps think that my style of painting brings out the extremes.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Time for a holiday, enjoy the heat and Shepherds pen!

Great progress and subtle shading on the reserve side of the smock.

Looks like the BBC think it will be a scorching few days?

Its going to be garden work this weekend, sadly, as the grass just wont stop growing!

Perhaps some brush work before it gets too hot?

Have a lovely break

Regards

Steve H

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

We're not going away until this evening - Covid restrictions mean that they have to have more of a time delay between occupations of the hut - so time to do a bit of camo work, though I'll need to start early to beat the heat.

Have fun in the garden. We have a drought here, so the grass is dead and hasn't needed cutting for weeks.

John - Thanks for the two smilies!

Reactions: JR