Verlinden 200mm Sharpe Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

200mm-napoleonic-bust-95th-rifles_360_31816c4c3d244d0bcb48214383209e45.jpg

My next attempt will be this 200mm bust of Sean Bean as Sharpe, a rare, for Verlinden, depiction of an actor in a TV role. It's a reasonable likeness, though I'm not particularly bothered about that aspect.

Only three parts, including the plinth and rifle. It's well moulded, and only needed about ten minutes clean-up:

100_5935.JPG

As per this picture, he's in slightly battered service dress, which includes the chain and whistle on the cross-belt:

sharpeie.jpg

Lets see how we get on....

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Not seen this one before Peter

It is almost, but not quite, entirely nothing like Sean Bean :thinking: :smiling5:

Will probably look better once you get paint on him

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Another horrible day of rain, wind, cold and grey ahead,

The "Riffle" figure has more of a look of Reutger Hauer over 50, than Sean Bean!

Should be fun with the uniform, it does look detailed from the photos.

A great opportunity to step over the strictly B+ box art and stamp your mark on the sculpt.

Fingers crossed the eyes aren't too challenging for you.

Enjoy the light and paint, if you get chance to use either, with your visitors.

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Simon - Well the likeness isn't really an issue for me with this one. I'm struck by how young Sean Bean looks in the photo.

Steve - The uniform is complicated, but basically black on green, so not too daunting. I've cleaned up some of the wrinkles around the eyes in order to take some age off, and I plan a more tanned complexion than normal as per the Peninsula. Lots of help at home with the baby this weekend, so should get some more time to myself. Light looking good.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Looking good Peter keep it going if I blink twice you should be done

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Lee.

Hopefully the uniform won't be too time-consuming.

I've just watched a programme called 'Prophecy' (available in the UK on BBC I-Player) about the artist Peter Howson spending two months creating a large figurative painting. A stunning record of the process of painting and on painting figures in particular. His style is influenced by an early interest in comic books, so his lighting is very stylised and graphic, and as such would translate very well into what we mere figure painters are trying to do. It's given me loads of ideas.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Looking good, Peter.
Great choice.
You've now referenced two of my favourite series of books - Sharpe and Master and Commander :thumb2: :thumb2:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Superb work Again Mr D :smiling4:
How you create such soft, natural transitions blows my mind every time!
The sculptures likeness may be questionable but your painting skills certainly are not :thumb2::cool:

D

Deleted member 6559

Neil - Ashamed to say that I've never watched an episode of Sharpe. Not a big SB fan. Quite liked him in Ronin though (the film that got me back into the hobby).

Si - Thank you. I find getting smooth transitions between the skin tones incredibly hard.

D

Deleted member 6559

Yay, I've managed to finish one!:

100_5943.JPG100_5944.JPG100_5945.JPG100_5946.JPG100_5947.JPG100_5948.JPG100_5949.JPG

This was lovely to do. The uniform was a simple process of painting the whole thing black, picking out the green areas, then adding some highlights to the black frogging around the shoulders. The whole was given a coat of matt varnish, then the leather cross-belt and musket strap were given a coat of satin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Even for you that was quick. Looks great and there is some semblance to Mr Bean in your completed painting.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks chaps. I needed to do a quick and simple bust - feel I'ml back on track with it all now.

Last edited by a moderator: