Verlinden 200mm Unterscharfuhrer Normandy

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_8008.JPG

This is a very large 200mm figure of a German NCO in Normandy, 1944. For a scale comparison, here's the torso with a 1/35 figure:

100_8007.JPG

The box contents:

100_8005.JPG100_8006.JPG

All beautifully detailed and cast. I'm not sure, but I might turn him into a Heer figure, and will probably paint the trousers in plain field grey. The side cap is the wrong shape, so I will remove that and use the helmet provided. Lots of prep to do.....

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
He is one big fellow Peter. You will need plenty of paint for him.
John

D

Deleted member 6559

John - Yes, too right: I need to put an order in.

I had a bash at the kit head, but it's pretty terrible, so it's been abandoned and swapped for a Reedees spare, which actually fits the helmet better. I did start to paint that, but it's now so hot that the paint dries as it goes on and curdles. An early start tomorrow may beat the heat.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Too hot for anything sensible these days, hopefully it will break soon?

Its 18 C at 5 am and feels so refreshing, but its just too early!

Venus is bright on the Eastern morning horizon, a clear sign Autumn is creeping up on us.

Looks like you have a serious chunk of resin on the bench at the moment.

Another head transplant too, but you know what will work and what just isn't good enough.

Hopefully a better paint day, though it does seem doubtful?

Unless you are up at silly o,clock too?

Try and have a cool and productive day, if not you will be with the rest of us, waiting for the weather to finally break

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve B - If I can get the paint to stick.......

Steve H - It rained in the night here, but it's forecast to be the hottest so far until a break in the weather tomorrow. I'll try an early start and see if the paint behaves itself. If not, it's back to the novels of Thomas Hardy (ten read, seven to go) and possibly a trip to a tearoom on the edge of Rees-Mogg's country estate - it has designated public footpaths all over, which must kill him.

Reactions: JR

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
That is a nice looking figure Peter.
It was so nice to step outside at 5am this morning for work, lovely and cool. Fu;; orange uniform is no fun in 30 degree heat.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking forward to this Peter.
The cap does look really weird, the helmet is the much better option. To be fair I think I prefer it with the helmet even if the cap was the correct shape.
Cheers
P

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Yowzer! He is a beast of a figure.

I'm glad i'm not painting in this heat at the moment. I'm having enough fun just trying to make things stick together. Terrific tonal work again on the face Peter. Is it easier to get better features at this size of head??

• Haha
D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve

Glad you like the face. I find painting 120mm and 200mm equally as difficult, but for different reasons. At 120mm it's harder getting at details like the eyes, whereas at 200mm the challenge is more about trying to blend the skin tones over larger areas. I suppose also that the larger scale is less forgiving.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Super blending in such adverse conditions,as for the Russian look a like?

Hmmm!

not sure, but the eyes do have it LOL

Looks like is should start to break soon ish, according to the BBC

There is going to be a mass of Field Grey with trousers and tunic, hope you have enough paint!

The weekend is nearly upon us, and all those little jobs that need doing rise to the surface, again!

Have a good day and hopefully no curdling paint today

Regards

Steve H

• Haha
D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve.

The jury's out on the Russian connection. I was really pleased to be able to get some painting done - a 7.30 start was the answer, especially as the day turned out to be the hottest and most humid yet. Cooler today, a mere 25, but still quite humid. On to the helmet and a plane tree camo cover today. May also get the insignia done. I'm going to vary the field grey a bit, as per our favourite photo:

tunics2014 - Copy.JPG

Greenish tunic, greyish trousers.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Peter with a figure this big so plenty of detail for you to have fun paintin as i will be lookin in now an again to see how he's shapein up
chris