Verlinden 200mm Unterscharfuhrer Normandy

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Historex still have quite a lot of Verlinden stuff and it's all at the original prices or lower. The range was not a best seller in later years and I think they're pretty glad to get rid of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6559

On to the helmet:

100_8022.JPG100_8023.JPG

I decided on Spring Plane Tree for the camo. The basic colours for this were Vallejo Flat Earth, Medium Olive and German Camo Black Brown. I first painted on the basic pattern with medium tones, then went over the whole highlighting and shading each individual patch of colour. The chin strap was made from thin card and scrap plastic.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Peter
Your patience and skill with the camo shading is commendable. I watch with interest because your shading technique is terrific. I’ve got a 1/9 British Para (by Maurice Cory) in the stash. I mention this only because the scale is the same and both have camouflage to tackle. Although I think our styles differ quite a bit (and I don’t claim to be a great figure painter) I’m always interested to see other approaches, and your shading is awesome.
Cheers P

PS. Have you painted many British Paras? The smock camouflage at this scale will be something of a challenge, being transparent/overprinted in areas. Any pointers? Sorry, don’t want to derail the thread.

D

Deleted member 6559

Paul - Many thanks for the compliments. As you say, we all have our own approaches and that's what keeps things interesting.

I have painted quite a few Denison smocks in my time. The idea is to start with an olive drab base colour, then add the brown strokes, then the green. I don't think I've ever got it completely right, but have a look at these:

100_2983.JPG100_5782.JPG100_7375.JPG

The related threads are all on WW1 Figures and after: Under construction.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Pete .
That photo showing the variation in uniform colours is well worth keeping in mind when trying to get the "right " colour. Thanks

D

Deleted member 6559

Darn right he should John. It's enough that we had to put up with him playing at the Kent County Cricket Ground down the road a couple of years ago - ''You're beautiful,,,'' Arrrrrrgh!

That picture of German uniforms is a gem. They are all original apparently.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

The camo helmet cover is superb, well done.

Looks like you will be in to the field grey and its many variations today, that should be fun to do.

The reference does give you a broad palette to work from, it really is a classic reference as you say.

It looks like a more refreshing today and weekend ahead, with a little rain tomorrow possibly

Lots to do outside, so its going to be another slow bench weekend but its generally to stuffy after being sat at the desk all week!

The work/hobby balance has certainly been broken using the same space!

Perhaps the Autumn will help with the cooler temperatures.

Have a good day in the Field grey

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

Glad you like the helmet cover. On to the tunic today and possibly the greener Vallejo German Uniform, which is very nice to paint with. Much, much cooler and fresher here. so the paint should behave itself.

D

Deleted member 6559

The tunic etc:

100_8025.JPG100_8026.JPG100_8027.JPG100_8028.JPG

I used Vallejo German Uniform for the tunic, which is greener than their German Field Grey. The straps were painted black, the wear added with combinations of Saddle Brown and Red Leather, then they were given a coat of satin varnish to give a soft shine. The back is a bit boring, but that will be mostly covered with equipment.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
You've done a lovely job on James so far ;)
I didn't know that about Vallejo German Uniform, will have to get some