Verlinden 200mm Zulu Warrior Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Jim. Once you know what to look for the flints seem to jump out of the ground. My favourite field is in the perfect condition for field-walking at the moment, so hopefully there will be more finds.

The bust so far:

100_6156.JPG100_6157.JPG100_6158.JPG

Today I painted the torso, then painted and added the small bunch of feathers.

Next, will be the neck flaps, which I'm going to attempt to paint as leopard skin, and finally the long feathers.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Certainly has the WOW factor Peter, beautifully painted .:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Just had a look see, Beautiful progress on this. Could you imagine 570 going to this level on the 100+ he did for his Rourk's Drift dio?
Are there any Bikkies left? Cheers, Rick H.

D

Deleted member 6559

John - Many thanks my man.

Rick - Glad you like him so far. 570 did a brilliant job on his dio, but I wouldn't wish doing one in 200mm on anyone - it would take years! Bikkies all gone, so son sent out for supplies.

D

Deleted member 6559

One finished Zulu:

100_6166.JPG100_6167.JPG100_6168.JPG100_6164.JPG

I did a bit more research and found that the neck flaps should be plain buff, which saved a lot of bother. The feathers were first painted black, then given washes of Prussian blue and deep green to liven them up.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice job, your painting is so much better than the sculpt.....

D

Deleted member 6559

Ralph - Thank you my man.

Tim - Thanks also. As long as the assessment is not the other way round!

Jim - Glad you approve. I really enjoyed this one.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Well done, superb bust and great work with the African complexion.

Thankfully the bust jinx has been broken, hopefully you can keep on the better side of sculpted busts in the future.

You do need a box rather than the bin for your future failed busts and figures, if for no other reasons that both a cooling off period for yourself, and I am sure someone on the forum, including myself would happily re-purpose your rejects.

Just a thought moving forward into 2020.

Storm Brendan is due today, though it shouldn't affect ""our" side of the country.

My Knee has been a pain this weekend, it has swollen up without much cause, continually!

I am hoping it will behave this week.

Off to find your new project.

Have a good day with the paints

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve

I imagine crawling about in the loft after modelling supplies won't have helped the knee much. Be careful. I hope it starts to behave itself.

Glad you like the Zulu. I'm quite pleased with him, and I don't often say that. I will bear in mind what you and others have offered, and keep any duds for re-modelling, though, at the same time, I'll be much more careful with my purchases.

Bright and windy here - excellent flint hunting weather!

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Very impressed Peter. You certainly have the African skin tones nicely done. Great stuff