Verlinden US Infantry Desert Storm

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

s-l1600.jpg

This is yet another figure generously donated by Richard Pearce: a US soldier of the Desert Storm campaign, Kuwait, 1990 -1991.

The kit:

100_5684.JPG

All there except the left hand, which I didn't like anyway.

Lots of camo! I'm going to do the flak vest in woodland and the trousers and helmet cover in chocolate chip (fortunately he's wearing a t-shirt);

desert-storm-camo-lot-pasgt-flak-vest_1_7a3fdf131f52a25eb9cc527a8aa85053.jpgcosva.jpg

Never done either scheme before, so some trial and error on the way.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Peter.
In first , kettle on , raining here like cats and dogs .

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter.
Since you achieved all that I've been searching UTube, had two cups of tea and toast, so think it's time I got up !

D

Deleted member 6559

John - I think it is time you got up. Still in bed at midday?!!!

The face:

100_5693.JPG

Not much face to paint on this one. I did give the sunglasses a couple of coats of gloss varnish, but it looked too much, so I went over them with some satin - they do catch the light from certain angles.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Ok I just caught my breath from running from the last one to this one I’ll sit by John I’m in

• Haha
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Peter on the face it looks like you can see eyes though the sunglasses is it just shadow, shading or me, anyway looks brilliant.
Pete.

D

Deleted member 6559

Pete - I'd like to say it's the painting, but it is just the shadow cast by the helmet rim. Just printed off loads of camo reference - of course it's all different; some four colour, some five etc. I'll go with the example from the IWM I think.

Steve - The non-edible kind I'm afraid. My diabetes means I haven't indulged for a couple of years - do miss it.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I’m not laughing Governor but John keeps giggling

• Haha
Reactions: JR

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Peter,
Kind of reminds me of Dougal
1573759130593.jpeg
Is that his tongue or a badly sculpted lip?

The shades are great - as Pete says it does look like there are eyes back there

D

Deleted member 6559

Lee - John's had too much coffee and chocolate.

Simon - Dear old Dougal (though Brian was my favourite). He does have a bit of a fat lip - not a great face, but OK by Verlinden standards. I wish I'd lied about the shades!

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Steve - The non-edible kind I'm afraid. My diabetes means I haven't indulged for a couple of years - do miss it.

If you have an Aldi near by then this and you like dark chocolate then 'their' Moser Roth 85% dark chocolate (link) is excellent for taste and carb content. Its only 3gm Carbs per 25g piece, and you get 5 individually wrapped 25g bars.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice to see you doing another modern warfre figure. Really looking forward to seeing how this comes out. Good luck with the camo

D

Deleted member 6559

Lee - :thumb2:.

Steve B - My trouble is that I'd eat them all at once anyway.

Steve J - Thanks for looking in. May have bitten off more than I can chew.

So;
100_5697.JPG100_5699.JPG

Got the head and flak vest mostly done. Still some refining to do, but the light has gone now - in fact it's been appalling all day, with low cloud and heavy rain (hence poor pictures). Not sure if I feel like carrying on with this one - will have to see how it looks tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 7237

Oh my, sorry Peter there's no more words in the English dictionary to describe your work.
What do you mean"not sure if I feel like carrying on with this one" please don't stop that camo pattern is brilliant, it's seamless.
Pete.