Verlinden WWII Luftwaffe Fighter Pilot

S

stubrun

i shall be watching the progress of this Adrian, i need to learn how to paint details on figures

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Watching with interest as I have an American gi 200mm to do what glue did you use Ade and did you pin the torso to the legs or glue alone

First Name
Adrian
\ said:
Watching with interest as I have an American gi 200mm to do what glue did you use Ade and did you pin the torso to the legs or glue alone
Hi John,

I sanded both parts to as flat as I could then used Zap-a-Gap to bond them, there was still a little gap in places so I used Squadron putty to fill in.

As for the two of you watching, don't expect anything spectacular as I don't normally do figures, but I will do my best :smiling3:

Adrian

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Thanks Ade for the info I to am not big on figures so I will be grateful of any little tips n tricks I can pick from yours along the way cheers John

First Name
Adrian
Well my first tip came from our figure builder in the club, he won at the Nationals last year so I pick his brains :smiling3:

Keep the head separate and drill a hole in the base of the neck to use a cocktail stick so you don't have to hold the head, also once you start it keep it in a separate small plastic bag if you need to store it, so it dosent rub against any other parts.

Adrian

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Just caught this Ade, mind if I pull up a chair.

Tony.

P

Paul P

Hi Ade front row seat for me as well, i love any figure painting :yeahbaby:

Paul

P

Plastickitbasher

Mind if I pull up a chair I have me brew and biscuits.....

First Name
Adrian
Oh heck, I can feel the pressure now !

I'm not a figure painter as most of you know, I did one German figure a few months back and thought I would do another to see if I could improve.

Here's what little work I have done so far, the face was first washed with a few thin coats of Tamiya XF15, about 60/40 thinners. Then after a whole night of drying I washed it with the Vallejo Fleshtone shade, from the 8 pack of washes they do.

It's not going to be a fast project as I am making notes as I go so I can see what works for me or not, I'm also working heavily on my Lancaster now that I have the mojo for it back.

View attachment 65492

Any help or suggestions most welcome.

Adrian

View attachment 66620

010.jpg

O

omi1966

im by no means an expert adrian but if you touch up the highlights on his face with some really thinned light flesh tone you will have a little more contrast between the shadows and the shiny bits, just take it slow and if it looks good to you go with it. when you get to the eyes i may have good link for you if your intrested.

so far so good ill be following you on your figure journey.

martin.

T

tecdes

\ said:
Any help or suggestions most welcome.

Adrian
Adrain found these two articles a couple of weeks ago when looking for ideas. They may be of help.

Web page or Resource Not Found - FineScale Modeler Magazine...

http://www.finescale.com/~/media/import/files/pdf/0/4/1/fsm-pa0705.pdf

Laurie

P

Paul P

Hi Ade. looks good to me, when i do faces, after putting the base coat on i always do the eyes first, mainly because they are the thing that either makes or breaks it, and also you dont have to worry about over painting onto the flesh part. you should then concentrate on the low lights working your way up to the highlights.

Paul

T

tecdes

Doing well there Adrian. I like the effect on the forehead & on either side of the nose & the eyes are good.

Also noted the eyes looking to one side which gives an authentic feel. Doing some RAF pilots at the moment & will pinch some of your ideas.

What scale is the figure Adrian.

Laurie

First Name
Adrian
\ said:
Doing well there Adrian. I like the effect on the forehead & on either side of the nose & the eyes are good. Also noted the eyes looking to one side which gives an authentic feel. Doing some RAF pilots at the moment & will pinch some of your ideas.

What scale is the figure Adrian.

Laurie
Thanks Laurie, its a Verlinden 120mm figure, the figure painter at our club told me to make them look to the side and also not use black, the blue is actually the Lufftwaffe underside blue :smiling3:

Adrian