Vickers MkVI Collection

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
The reason I ask Chris is that I model in 1-87 scale which is roughly 3.5mm to the scale foot. Is that anywhere close? Rick H.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
The reason I ask Chris is that I model in 1-87 scale which is roughly 3.5mm to the scale foot. Is that anywhere close? Rick H.
Here's a couple of pictures that might give you a better idea
IMG_4356.JPG
Now, 28mm, as a wargaming scale is kind of vague in its' equivalences. Many quote it as nominally 1/56th for comparison purposes, but there's a spread from 1/48th to 1/60th. Check out the thread on my completed 28mm Bren Gun carrier. So, above we have the compare and contrast: the back row is my 28mm BEF Matilda II (MkII?) and my MkVI early. In front are an ancient Airfix Matilda II and a solid resin MkVIC, both in 1/76th ish.
So, 1/87th is going to be even smaller. I recently had some 'modern' German Roco Minitanks Marders (bought when there were still two Germanies!) up on eBay, so I know how small that stuff is. There are a couple of builders in that scale on here and I'm always impressed by the work that goes into them
IMG_4357.JPG
And now, the vagaries of scale within 28mm. To the rear, my Warlord Morris CS8 15CWT light truck, in front the Perrys Morris CS8 Radio van. Both nominally the same scale
Over on my thread of my 28mm A13 Cruiser tanks, I've got five vehicles from three manufacturers, and they're all exactly the same size!

Reactions: JR

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Chris, I had no idea that there was such a variance in scale within the wargaming manufacturers. It would seem that scale fidelity is of secondary consideration when it comes to game figures and vehicles. Rick H.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great work Chris, and so small as well .

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Chris, I had no idea that there was such a variance in scale within the wargaming manufacturers. It would seem that scale fidelity is of secondary consideration when it comes to game figures and vehicles. Rick H.
Consider this. What is now called 28mm used to be 25mm. 28mm is often quoted as being 'foot to eye' whereas 25mm used to be the height of the figure!
It gets more complicated when you consider, especially with WWII stuff you have 'realistic' proportions from manufacturers like Perrys and 'heroic' proportions from manufacturers like Warlord. Check the differences between the two driver figures in the Morrises
Still, it's kind of like saying, can you put a 1/32 figure in a 1/35 diorama? 'Have you met my mate? 'E's rilly tall!'

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Well, all things considered, people do range in height and build so some of that could be expected. But a Morris is a Morris and they are all pretty much the same size no matter what. If one is willing to overlook that one small detail and is judicious in placement of these models I think they have great potential. Rick H.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Well, all things considered, people do range in height and build so some of that could be expected. But a Morris is a Morris and they are all pretty much the same size no matter what. If one is willing to overlook that one small detail and is judicious in placement of these models I think they have great potential. Rick H.
That's why the two Morisses should actually be the other way round in the picture, then no-one would ever know!
'Dougal, these are SMALL, but THOSE are far away!'

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The biggest issue with different sized figures (of the same scale) is that the sculptors tend to make the weapons and equipment in ratio to the figure sculpt rather than to the scale they are working. Old Tall Hans will also carry the largest MG 42 in the entire platoon! He therefore looks oversized. If the gun he carried was the same size as Tiny Erwin’s then he really would look tall!

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I look at big chunky Bren guns and wire-thin Boyes AT rifles and go, BEF that size, 8th Army that.
If you look closely at the Seaforths in my completed BEF figures thread you'll see a small, kneeling Bren gunner, 'cos he's a Perry as I had no-one else bare legged!
Yeah, we wargamer -ish types can get away with a lot

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Another thought of mixing scales, so long as the equipment is consistent - a few years back Dragon put out a set of 1/35 British/Commonwealth Infantry called 'Monte Cassino'. Apart from the fact they should have been called 'lmperial' not commonwealth, they had alternate heads to make, I think, Sikhs in turbans or helmets, and kukris to make them Gurkhas. Which, alongside other 1/35 figures would have made them the tallest Gurkhas ever. Give them 1/32 kit and stand next to an Airfix mulipose officer, and that would look more in-scale