Vietnam "Green"

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Just a quick question..
I'm not a picky modeller, but I like to get things fairly close!
I was going to do my Bulldog in general Tamiya Olive Drab,but from what I've read it was quite dark?!.... Anyone able to suggest a colour to suit please?!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Tamiya OD is (was? before they changed the colour and then changed it again) a good match for OD from the Second World War. US Army OD from the Vietnam War was in principle the same colour as in the 1940s, but the 1968 version of the FS 595 specifications had a lighter shade of OD in the matt version only. This was most likely a mistake somewhere, because the gloss and semigloss were the same as before, only the matt was different.

All you ever wanted to know, and more, about OD :smiling3:

What this means for your model, I’m not sure. What is the timeframe in which you want to portray it? If it’s pre-1968, then the same shade of OD as for a Second World War tank would be the right one. After 1968, you have to ask yourself when/if the tank would have been re-painted — it would have left the factory in that original shade of OD, but if you want to portray, say, an ARVN tank in the 1972 Easter Offensive, it might well have received a new coat of the lighter OD sometime in the preceding four years. At least, I assume the US delivered not jus vehicles to the ARVN, but also paint to use on them when necessary. (And then, if you really want, you can get into the question of, “At what time would that paint have been produced? Could it have been 1950s stock shipped over because it’s getting old?” :smiling3:)

BTW, the tank’s official nickname was Walker Bulldog, not just Bulldog. It was named after US Army general Walton Harris Walker, one of whose nicknames was “Bulldog”. He was killed in a traffic accident in Korea in 1950, and the M41 Little Bulldog (as it was known at the time) had its name changed to M41 Walker Bulldog in tribute.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Tamiya OD is (was? before they changed the colour and then changed it again) a good match for OD from the Second World War. US Army OD from the Vietnam War was in principle the same colour as in the 1940s, but the 1968 version of the FS 595 specifications had a lighter shade of OD in the matt version only. This was most likely a mistake somewhere, because the gloss and semigloss were the same as before, only the matt was different.

All you ever wanted to know, and more, about OD :smiling3:

What this means for your model, I’m not sure about. What is the timeframe in which you want to portray it? If it’s pre-1968, then the same shade of OD as for a Second World War tank would be the right one. After 1968, you have to ask yourself when/if the tank would have been re-painted — it would have left the factory in that original shade of OD, but if you want to portray, say, an ARVN tank in the 1972 Easter Offensive, it might well have received a new coat of the lighter OD sometime in the preceding four years. At least, I assume the US delivered paint to the ARVN as well as vehicles.

BTW, the tank’s official nickname was Walker Bulldog, not just Bulldog. It was named after US Army general Walton Harris Walker, one of whose nicknames was “Bulldog”. He was killed in a traffic accident in Korea in 1950, and the M41 Little Bulldog (as it was known at the time) had its name changed to M41 Walker Bulldog in tribute.
Nice info thanks Jakko!
It seems "Traffic accidents" were responsible for many things...... Patton was killed in a suspicious RTA very shortly after WW2!!:astonished:
I think i`ll just do mine in Tamiya Drab.....that`ll do for me..... and i can shade it to suit:thumb2:!!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It seems "Traffic accidents" were responsible for many things...... Patton was killed in a suspicious RTA very shortly after WW2!!:astonished:
I’m not overly surprised, TBH. Lots of vehicles on the road, people who have other things on their minds than driving safely (because they’re in a war zone and might be killed at any time anyway), vehicles with pretty much no safety devices at all … this is simply asking for serious accidents. And because it’s only the generals you hear about being killed in these, that skews perceptions in itself already.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm currently working on a M551 Sheridan; some articles I've read say the Vietnam colour is intensely dark, however that doesn't accord with my memories and photos of captured US vehicles in Ho Chi Minh City. I've used Humbrol H253 (RLM 08) on the advice of my oppo who lives nearby (a Vietnam vet and tank commander). It looks really good, particularly with a dusting of the typical red soil of the area. This will probably generate a perfect storm of criticism but, hey, it works for me! Do your own thing - there is no perfect solution!

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm currently working on a M551 Sheridan; some articles I've read say the Vietnam colour is intensely dark, however that doesn't accord with my memories and photos of captured US vehicles in Ho Chi Minh City. I've used Humbrol H253 (RLM 08) on the advice of my oppo who lives nearby (a Vietnam vet and tank commander). It looks really good, particularly with a dusting of the typical red soil of the area. This will probably generate a perfect storm of criticism but, hey, it works for me! Do your own thing - there is no perfect solution!