Viking Paint Question

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi all, a few simple questions but hopefully someone can help. Painting the head and wonder how some get the right effect with painting beards and what color to paint a tongue. Its hoping well and want to get this right, all being well pictures will get forthcoming.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi all, a few simple questions but hopefully someone can help. Painting the head and wonder how some get the right effect with painting beards and what color to paint a tongue. Its hoping well and want to get this right, all being well pictures will get forthcoming.
Mark, have you tried stippling with a very short bristled (cut-off & redundant) brush with basic skin tone loosely mixed with a muted muddy hair colour? Tongues need to be a very muted dusky pink - unless you're painting some slavering beastie!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
For a tongue I’d try a mix based on Vallejo old rose. For a beard, what colour? Thinking Viking, you are probably looking at blonde. Therefore base coat in a mid brown, then highlight with Yellow Ochre. Highlight the hair volume though. Don’t try and paint every single hair, you’ll go mad.....

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Tim, Not if you're hair is thinning at the same rate as mine is - mind you at 70-something having any hair is a blessing!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
In my experience Steve sculptors either go full BeeGees or Yul Brinner. Never see much in between ;)

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Personally I have found a lack of hair a distinct advantage with all the Barbers closed

For facial hair I have painted as usual, then stipple in an appropriate color. If a beard is moulded on, I paint in a mid color, wash with a darker colour, then dry brush in a lighter shade. That is for 28mm figures, for larger scales on a beard I would add more graduations similar To head hair.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s the technique I use when mass painting rank and file 28s as well Dave. I sometimes refine it further with a second high highlight to show the volumes. This is especially relevant on long flowing beards and hair....think Gandalf or Gimli!

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Another consideration is the supposed age of the subject and the supposed situation; for example a senior officer may be expected to have grey in 'his' hair and (for example) a desert squaddie will often have sun-bleached hair and eyebrows.