Viking

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy,
That is outstanding I think you are selling yourself short by comparing yourself to other painters. That is a great job take a bow.

First Name
Andrew
I spent lunchtime painting spots and dashes onto my wolf skin cloak. It's not completed yet and I will add some buff to the mixture. I've put base coats onto his sword and attached it ready to detail and I couldn't resist dry fitting him ono his base. He'll be standing in grass eventually. (He still has a purse and dagger to paint and attach).

DSCN2450 (2).JPGDSCN2444 (2).JPGDSCN2448 (2).JPGDSCN2449 (2).JPG

I can really recommend these two paints - bought for John's shop. Mike Butler put me on to the glaze medium for thinning my paints. I apply spots of paint rather than stokes.
The umber wash is great. When I tried to make my own wash it would loose most of its pigment as it dried, but this is so much better. I use it for all my shadows. I avoid black and true white as much as I can and only use them for extreme shadow or highlight.

DSCN2443.JPG

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I do like that cross ,what a great find,

First Name
Andrew
Well. I've painted his last weapons and tinkered with his cloak fur. I painted his boots and think that he's finished? So back to the base. I added some grass made from old carpet underlay. I give it a wash of green after laying it. I'm now adding some plants and I've made some discarded Bibles - he only wants the jewel encrusted covers, which I will make next. This Viking has no interest in the Christian God obviously, He's wearing a Thor hammer necklace. He reckons Thor is more powerful than Jehovah after killing a few priests and grabbing their gold!

You will find how I laid the grass, made the books and plants in my book. (Which also promotes this forum.)
Nearly there!
Andy

DSCN2452.JPGDSCN2454.JPGDSCN2455.JPGDSCN2456.JPGDSCN2457.JPGDSCN2460.JPG

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Fantastic work, just got your excellent WWI trench book and was reading about your carpet underlay grass last night :smiling5:

First Name
Andrew
Andy
That is a great result mate.
Thanks.
Not quite there yet! I’ve added some poppy flowers (poppies representing sacrifice of course) today, some tall grasses and am working on his hoard of gold from the priests. I’m also making covers for the Bibles that he’s torn off. They have jewels on, which he’ll use but he has no use for the books which he’s just tossed away. I added a little blood on one of the Bibles and a hint of red on his axe to show there’s been a struggle to get his treasure.
Hopefully photos tomorrow?
Andy

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
this is coming along a treat ,so like the bk and grass well done, ;)

First Name
Andrew
You should spot poppies, tall grass and a bit of blood on the base now. I am now working on his hoard of gold. I made a couple of goblets from old mouldings that I had in my stash. I used to do a lot of architectural mouldings before the days of 3D printers. These were features made for a model of St Paul's Cathedral. I had to chop them about and Dremmel out the cups gently with a burr. The last pictures are some of my old masters - a London river lamp, St Paul's moulding (made on a lathe) and a Corinthian column capital.

This is one of the Bible covers, which my Viking has ripped off the books. The yellow bits are silicone balls and will be painted as jewels. I'll paint his gold next week.
DSCN2461.JPG

Here's a close up of the Bible , grasses and poppies.
DSCN2464.JPG

This Bible was gained at a cost to someone. I didn't want to add lots of blood.
DSCN2466.JPG

The poppies add a nice bit of colour to the base.
DSCN2469.JPG

Here is his hoard. A couple of goblets, the Bible covers and a piece of cloth to carry them.
DSCN2470.JPG

This is my old stash of mouldings from the past.
DSCN2471.JPG

This is a London riverside lamp at 1:100 scale. This is the master and I made a rubber mould.
DSCN2472.JPG

This is a bit from St Paul's. I made a goblet for one like this, adding some styrene discs on its base.
DSCN2473.JPG

This is a Corinthian column capital master.
DSCN2474.JPG

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
liking all the adds your putting in very good thinking ;)
don,t forget the raven on the cross :smiling4::rolling:

First Name
Andrew
liking all the adds your putting in very good thinking ;)
don,t forget the raven on the cross :smiling4::rolling:
Thanks for you support Monica. If I do add a bird to the cross, it will be a dove. The narrative that I’m trying to describe here is a man‘s journey to faith. The dove would represent peace and this aggressive warrior is puzzled why the Christian God is so weak. Killing priests and stealing their gold was so easy! But this man is crying out to Heaven and questioning God. I called him Harald (Klak) - the first Christian Viking. His future is more peaceful than the last few minutes. God’s love wins over aggression eventually.
Andy

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andy

That really is coming on beautifully. A real credit to up your skills.

Tim Marlow put me onto glaze medium a while ago and it works exactly as you say. In his case he uses it to dilute game wash to make the wash even thinner and more subtle, which works a treat.

ATB.

Andrew

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Thanks for you support Monica. If I do add a bird to the cross, it will be a dove. The narrative that I’m trying to describe here is a man‘s journey to faith. The dove would represent peace and this aggressive warrior is puzzled why the Christian God is so weak. Killing priests and stealing their gold was so easy! But this man is crying out to Heaven and questioning God. I called him Harald (Klak) - the first Christian Viking. His future is more peaceful than the last few minutes. God’s love wins over aggression eventually.
Andy
ah thank you for telling me what your getting at,as i do see your reason for a dove,and not a crow/raven as they where used to find land on there travels,
at sea sent up a crow if it did not return ,sail in that direction,to land,do once the crow/ravens did use to talk to us but over time they gave up as no one keeped
listening to them,
keep up the good work im in joying this one ,he better watch out for thunder bolts lol, :rolling:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Wow Andy, that column cap is the Bomb!! Looks like this guy's stash contains the original manuscript for the Geuttenburg Bible and the Holy Grail ;) ....that's some haul! Lovely work and I'm looking forward to the grand finale.:thumb2:
Rick H.