Vision vs Ultron

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looks as if this is going to be the shape of modelling in the not to far distance. As soon as printers become cheaper I can see lots of modellers getting one.

First Name
Adrian
What printer are you using?
I have 5 printers, 2 FDM and 3 resin.
FDM are an Ender 3 pro, my first one. and a CR-10 V3 for larger prints like full Mandolorian helmets.
Resin printers are all Elegoo, Mars 2 pro, Mars 2 ( green version ) and a Saturn for larger prints.

I'm looking to add an Elegoo Jupiter in a few months for an even larger build plate.

Adrian

First Name
Adrian
Looks as if this is going to be the shape of modelling in the not to far distance. As soon as printers become cheaper I can see lots of modellers getting one.
You can get decent resin printers for around £180 now, its just all the extras like wash and cure stations, resin, IPA for clean up, or water if you use water washable :smiling3:
When I look at what I can pay for a single resin cast figure I balance it out as I can print multiple ones and even with some licences I can sell those on to recoup my money :smiling3:

I can see a time when if your missing a part from a kit, they will ask if you have a resin printer and if so they will send you the file and you print it yourself.

Adrian

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I can't really see the attraction myself. It sounds rather messy, costly and potentially hazardous.

I'd rather see a future in which resin printing is perhaps a local service you can pay for, from folks who have the best kit and skills, while designers are freed from having to manufacture their creations themselves.

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
I can't really see the attraction myself. It sounds rather messy, costly and potentially hazardous.

I'd rather see a future in which resin printing is perhaps a local service you can pay for, from folks who have the best kit and skills, while designers are freed from having to manufacture their creations themselves.

That already exists to some extent.

Look at Shapeways, you can find what you want, ask for it to be printed at a specific scale in a specific material.

Some are charging a lot more than others, but that's just supply and demand at work.

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
I have 5 printers, 2 FDM and 3 resin.
FDM are an Ender 3 pro, my first one. and a CR-10 V3 for larger prints like full Mandolorian helmets.
Resin printers are all Elegoo, Mars 2 pro, Mars 2 ( green version ) and a Saturn for larger prints.

I'm looking to add an Elegoo Jupiter in a few months for an even larger build plate.

Adrian

I have been looking at the Mars3 and Saturn, and as you say the new Jupiter.
I have already accumulated a number of good models to print for personal use, including things like fuel can spouts and covers, that don't need to be bent from pe sheets.
One I really like the look of is https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/sniper-trick

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That already exists to some extent.

Look at Shapeways, you can find what you want, ask for it to be printed at a specific scale in a specific material.

Some are charging a lot more than others, but that's just supply and demand at work.
Ah, thanks for the heads-up. I'll check them out.

First Name
Adrian
Managed a bit more work on the figures, between work and launching my own 3D figure printing service it's hard to find time to paint anything.

Attachments

• DSC_4397.JPG
    DSC_4397.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC_4398.JPG
    DSC_4398.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 11