VMS Acrylic Varnishes

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Historically, I have suffered with using Humbrol Acrylic varnishes being tacky for ages. I am an enamel user so I have been told that, post painting, I need to use an acrylic varnish to protect the paint and that this will not be attacked by enamel thinners when rubbing excess wash off. So, I bought a selection of VMS Acrylic Varnishes to try on my A400M Atlas and F-117A Nighthawk...

The Atlas looks ghastly but I suspect that's more down to my lack of airbrushing skills.

The F-117A seems good as deposited but was attacked by the Humbrol enamel thinners. Also, once the decals were on, I locally airbrushed some Humbrol Clear over the decals to protect them. This crazed - looking like crazy paving. I also applied some Microscale MicroMask around the nav lights and beacons to hand-paint those. This also attacked the varnish.

I was using my H&S Evolution CR Plus AB with 0.4mm needle. The gloss varnish would not spray reliably so I had to thin it 2 parts Ammo acrylic thinners to 1 part varnish and also had terrible overspray issues so dropped the pressure down to 10 psi

Has anyone else experienced similar?

Does anyone have a magical varnish solution for working with enamel paints a) at the pre-wash stage and b) at the final coat stage?

Thanks all for your help.

John

Reactions: JR

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I have had a crazing issue with vallejo polyurethane varnish,sprayed a coat over vallejo acrylic colour no problem,next day thought it could do with another coat,crazed up and i peeled it off like a layer of latex,
Now use vallejo acrylic varnish with no problems, i have done acylic and enamel washes over it without any issues, couldnt coment as for spraying over enamel base as i dont use them.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
I've been using Tamiya gloss clear X22, Ammo MIG Lucky varnish (both gloss and matt) and Humbrol satin cote.
My only issue was with X22, and only once, when I thinned it too much and sprayed at too high pressure causing a grainy finish (probably the paint started to dry while in flight...).
I then used oil and enamel washes on all of them without any particular issue.

Andrea

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
I can't comment on the issue you have with enamels but ref the VMS varnishes, I have acheived some great results and really like them. Online tutorial with the satin varnish found here:

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I've been using Tamiya gloss clear X22, Ammo MIG Lucky varnish (both gloss and matt) and Humbrol satin cote.
My only issue was with X22, and only once, when I thinned it too much and sprayed at too high pressure causing a grainy finish (probably the paint started to dry while in flight...).
I then used oil and enamel washes on all of them without any particular issue.

Andrea
Andy,
Much appreciated. :thumb2:
I have just tried to buy some of the Tamiya from the shop but having a bit of a problem, so awaiting John's help.
Kind Regards,
John

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I can't comment on the issue you have with enamels but ref the VMS varnishes, I have acheived some great results and really like them. Online tutorial with the satin varnish found here:
Los,
Thanks for the input - it was that video that convinced me to buy a selection.
IMG_3716.JPG
The attached image shows the attack on the VMS gloss by the Microscale MicroMask, which I have successfully used loads of time on Humbrol Clear.
I appreciate your help, though.
Kind Regards,
John