Vosper MTB Perkasa Tamiya 1/72

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I have had this bit of a novelty kit in the stash for ages and thought why not.
All things considered; its more a toy than a scale model and there are things that have been done simple, it builds up quite nice.
Must have been around the Matchbox era of models as this too was a multi coloured plastic. Even the hull was moulded in two colours!
Vacuum plates brass effect for the screws as well!
Anyhow.
A bit of time and some paint from Vallejo and it turned out like this:
20220503_134710.jpg20220503_134720.jpg20220503_134734.jpg20220503_134759.jpg20220503_134822.jpg
I could have spent a lot more time and pushed the detail a bit, but to be honest... meh, its not really my thing these modern plastic boat things.

Still the stash is a bit smaller now ;) (room for more).
Hope you like it and as always comments are welcome.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ian

That's turned out very nicely indeed. A lovely finish.

ATB.

Andrew

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ian, toy, novelty kit?!

I don't understand why you write that. It is a nice, clean and tidy build.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ian, toy, novelty kit?!

I don't understand why you write that. It is a nice, clean and tidy build.
It was in its original boxing an electric motor boat thing. The superstructure are designed to click on and off so you can put batteries inside and turn it on and off. Molded in grey, green, red, black and gold plated so you didn't need to paint it...the detail is very good and far above toy levels, it was just desinged to be played with. As proper moglers we all know its only cars and planes you does that wiv.

First Name
Jean-Marc
CCCCCCCool, it turn out pretty well, well done Sir and thank you for sharing it with us, it,s quite appreciated !

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Not to worry Ian......I make models out of toys all the time, just depends on how much time you want to spend putting the lipstick on the "pig"! ;) I'd say that you've "tarted" this one up very nicely....sure looks the Bees Knees. :thumb2::thumb2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks more than sharp to me, especially for a so called toy…..really nice work Ian.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well I have had this bit of a novelty kit in the stash for ages and thought why not.
All things considered; its more a toy than a scale model and there are things that have been done simple, it builds up quite nice.
Must have been around the Matchbox era of models as this too was a multi coloured plastic. Even the hull was moulded in two colours!
Vacuum plates brass effect for the screws as well!
Anyhow.
A bit of time and some paint from Vallejo and it turned out like this:
View attachment 452490View attachment 452491View attachment 452492View attachment 452493View attachment 452494
I could have spent a lot more time and pushed the detail a bit, but to be honest... meh, its not really my thing these modern plastic boat things.

Still the stash is a bit smaller now ;) (room for more).
Hope you like it and as always comments are welcome.
Well I think that looks top drawer personally.... Nice one Ian :smiling3:
Andy

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Sweeeeeet!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Ian if this is the Perkasa it should be KD Perkasa of the Royal Malaysian Navy with the RMN Ensign and Nos.150. There were only two Brave Class boats done by Vosper for the Royal Navy, HMS Brave Borderer and HMS Brave Swordsman since the RN was seizing coastal operations, so a simpler version Type Ferocity was developed for export. Each export country had their own peculiarities and KD Perkasa and her 3 sisters were classed as the Perkasa Class.
BTW nicely built and Tamiya would have detailed it for a static model should one wanted to build one. I've seen some really nice ones detailed with AM parts and with the right markings...even one in camo for a certain campaign operation in Borneo.

Cheers,
Richard

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Ian if this is the Perkasa it should be KD Perkasa of the Royal Malaysian Navy with the RMN Ensign and Nos.150.
An Interesting point Richard. My only concern is that the Perkasa was the lead vessel of the PERKASA class boat. The Brave Borderer was a vessel of the Brave class, a whole different bag of chips. To build a Borderer class back from the Perkasa class would mean a new front for the cabin section. If Tamiya had given it a bit of thought/effort they could have planed ahead and made the cabin part as two parts to enable a Borderer to be built...
As you can see in the link below they look very different.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205164370 Brave class

But it is an easy thing to fix. I Just need to change the flag and jobs a good one.