VW bendy bus.

D

Deleted member 7181

I've seen the bottom picture before but figured it was photochopped.

Looking at the top picture it seems as if someone's attempting to replicate it though. Different models of bus (Split vs Bay) but it would be cool if they pulled it off.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The ones in the top picture are the later model type 2. The pickup being a crew cab version. The rear part just a panel van .
You might be right on the bottom photo being a photoshop job, but it sure looks cool with the type 1's.

D

Deleted member 7181

I had a T2 (bay window) myself. Nothing special but it got me around France, Germany, Switzerland & Italy when I was younger. I always hankered after a T1 split but they are ridiculous money even for a half salvageable wreck :disappointed2:

You posting this might have got my juices flowing though. I'd never have the money to build a real life one but I'm sure a scale version is doable if I could find T1 pick up and Samba kits.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
I new a guy that brought a beautifully restored TI, and while driving it back from the place he brought it, he stopped off at a car show type event, they ask him if was entering so he said ok, why not.
He parked up and gave it a quick wipe over and won best of show with it!:cool:

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
I had a T2 (bay window) myself. Nothing special but it got me around France, Germany, Switzerland & Italy when I was younger. I always hankered after a T1 split but they are ridiculous money even for a half salvageable wreck :disappointed2:

You posting this might have got my juices flowing though. I'd never have the money to build a real life one but I'm sure a scale version is doable if I could find T1 pick up and Samba kits.
Few years ago I fitted ex Porsche engines into them.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Revell did/does T1 vans and sambas.........Hasegawa does/did T2 vans, pickups and buses....all in 1/24
Revell also do the Samba for sure and maybe the panel van in 1/16.....
I did have another picture of a pair of Samba busses, painted to match but one had been turned into a caravan. That too was pretty cool- I 'll try to find it again.

I have always wanted a Samba bus but as prices are I could buy a good new minivan for the same price.

D

Deleted member 7181

Few years ago I fitted ex Porsche engines into them.
I could have done with one of those! Mine did the usual of burning out an exhaust valve. Unfortunately is was in the Alps so limited us to about 15MPH on the hills! :smiling5:

Revell did/does T1 vans and sambas.........Hasegawa does/did T2 vans, pickups and buses....all in 1/24

Yes, thanks. I was straight on to Scalemates after my post seeing what was available.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
I could have done with one of those! Mine did the usual of burning out an exhaust valve. Unfortunately is was in the Alps so limited us to about 15MPH on the hills! :smiling5:

Yes, thanks. I was straight on to Scalemates after my post seeing what was available.
So that was you holding me up on my way to the top (Mont Blanc)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
This brings back memories and a half!

When me and the present Mrs. Ron were newly weds in 1970, we bought a V.W more or less exactly like the one with the dog. (Only complete!)
It even has the same colour surf board I had at the time!

Exactly the same colour vehicle, but ours was far better than this. Chrome bumpers, not painted and they didn't have those awful 'Bull bars', just one piece wrap-around bumpers.

See the big 'V' on the front of the near one? Ours was a beautiful 2"chrome strip that went all around the vehicle at the paint demarcation point. We had chrome hub caps, not the abominations on the picture.

Our first born rode in a carry cot on the back shelf above the engine - Nice and warm!

The interior was made up of light brown velour upholstery and roof lining, and pale ash wood work.

Column gear change, a hand brake that came out of the dashboard (sometimes literally) and bench seats in the front.

Last but certainly not least, the vehicle had 6v electrics!

It eventually broke in two just like an old door hinge. Too much salt air taking a surfer dude to ride some six feet high and glassy waves!

Ian, thanks for bring back memories of happy, care free times.

Ron

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I imagine a new engine would be required, the original power to weight ratio would really struggle

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I imagine a new engine would be required, the original power to weight ratio would really struggle
One of them there Porsche jobbies is pretty much a straight swap. lol I have heard that a Subaru Boxer motor can be squeezed in the bay as well.

Exactly the same colour vehicle, but ours was far better than this.
Sounds like you had a DeLuxe. But I thought that they had the "bullies" Still nice though!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
One of them there Porsche jobbies is pretty much a straight swap. lol I have heard that a Subaru Boxer motor can be squeezed in the bay as well.

Sounds like you had a DeLuxe. But I thought that they had the "bullies" Still nice though!

No bullies. Just big thick chrome ones. I think I have a Brownie 127 photo of it somewhere. I'll try and root it out.

GaryR

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
Plastic is being cut and shut along those lines....trailer does not have t1 cab front now...and it's getting longer...still messing but jolly fun.
20201004_205940.jpg

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Gary, will you be putting this in the "weeds" or leave it at the stock height? I have had the itch to do one of these conversions in 1/87 scale ever since Andy did his version almost a year ago. These are a real show stopper in my book. You are doing a great job and I am looking forward to the next update. :thumb2: Rick H.

Reactions: JR

GaryR

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
Hi Rick. I like customs but I'm going for a pseudo factory look with this one, as if VW built it to run parts about, so standard height, utilitarian spec, nothing fancy. It's great fun and relatively straight forward, those flat panels are a gift, and I'm deliberately keeping it simple, especially in the face of Andy's superb effort!

First Name
Noel
Could be quite a fun build/conversion. The same sort of thing could also be done with a couple of Revell's later T3 camper van kits.
Not quite the same appeal as the Samba Style Bus/ Van/ Pickup kits but a bit different none the less.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Noel, why don't you give it a go.......I really enjoyed following Andy's build of the T1 Bendy Bus. :smiling3:
Rick H.

Reactions: JR