Waltzer Build

Dwayne

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dwayne
Happy New Year Everyone,
I have not been able to make very much progress on the waltzer due to other things requiring my attention including converting a bike to electric pedal assist for my daughter (later fixing said electric power assist bike when somebody pulled out on her, she is fine but bike needed attention) making a pigrrl hand held game thing again for my daughter and other stuff for myself and others.
Aaanyway during the time I have managed to print off most of the platform carriers and tonight I printed the first carriage
20210112_183919.jpg
I am really pleased with it. As you can see it has a void in the seat which I put there to add weight but I am thinking it wont be needed the carriage seems to move quite easily without any extra weight so I will hold off making any more until I can test it to see if it will spin as it is and if it does I can alter the design to get rid of the void. I know this looks boring at the moment but keep in mind that it will all be painted.

Dwayne

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dwayne
Now that is some serious CAD engineering,Dwayne.
what software do you use and which 3D printer do you have?
Hi Neil I am using freecad, I did dabble with fusion360 for a while but found that freecad is easier for me to use. Some find it harder but I guess that has a lot to do with how each person is used to working. Currently I have a cloned prusa i3 printer but thats part of the distraction I was on about above I started to make an enclosure for it as the cold weather plays havoc with bed adhesion and I got so far and thought that it could be a good corexy printer on its own, so I am getting bits together to make it into one now.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Wow!

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Hi Neil I am using freecad, I did dabble with fusion360 for a while but found that freecad is easier for me to use. Some find it harder but I guess that has a lot to do with how each person is used to working. Currently I have a cloned prusa i3 printer but thats part of the distraction I was on about above I started to make an enclosure for it as the cold weather plays havoc with bed adhesion and I got so far and thought that it could be a good corexy printer on its own, so I am getting bits together to make it into one now.
Cheers Dwayne-you certainly make it work for you. I use expensive Magics software at work but I have an eye on retirement so I'm looking for something affordable. I will check out Freecad.
I've been spoilt by work - I use the Ultimaker, which comes with the enclosure- but at several times the price of the Prusa!
What is the bed on the Prusa? Ultimaker is glass and we use Dimafix .....but this link says delivery to the uk Is not possible grrr. What I like is that it releases as the bed cools down. Let's hope someone imports it before I run out
Elegoo is quite good.

thanks
Neeil

Dwayne

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dwayne
Cheers Dwayne-you certainly make it work for you. I use expensive Magics software at work but I have an eye on retirement so I'm looking for something affordable. I will check out Freecad.
I've been spoilt by work - I use the Ultimaker, which comes with the enclosure- but at several times the price of the Prusa!
What is the bed on the Prusa? Ultimaker is glass and we use Dimafix .....but this link says delivery to the uk Is not possible grrr. What I like is that it releases as the bed cools down. Let's hope someone imports it before I run out
Elegoo is quite good.

thanks
Neeil
The i3 has a glass bed too and I have to say I had never heard of Dimafix I first tried the gluestick that shipped with the printer but soon turned to TRESemme (not sure how to get the thing above the "e") extra hold hairspray :tears-of-joy: other hairsprays I have tried do not do half as well as that one and it has a quite pleasant smell when you spray it on the hot bed. My printer is in the rather drafty shed so while we are in winter I am having to run the bed hot to keep the prints from lifting.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
The i3 has a glass bed too and I have to say I had never heard of Dimafix I first tried the gluestick that shipped with the printer but soon turned to TRESemme (not sure how to get the thing above the "e") extra hold hairspray :tears-of-joy: other hairsprays I have tried do not do half as well as that one and it has a quite pleasant smell when you spray it on the hot bed. My printer is in the rather drafty shed so while we are in winter I am having to run the bed hot to keep the prints from lifting.
I can see why you would want an enclosure-it will make quite a difference