Wardell Bridge

First Name
Peter
Thank you Bob, and kpnuts, for your comments.

I am currently painting the rest of the bridge a cement colour (light grey). I looks like its going to need a few coats.
Afterwards I will experiment with splattering darker grey colours on the road base to make it look like concrete (fingers-crossed). I am a bit apprehensive about that.:sad:

First Name
Peter
After three coats of paint I am happy with the fresh concrete look.
I am not going to show any weathering. As a lad, during one summer holiday, I worked three months for an architectural renderer. From this, I have come to like clean coloured images with no signs of pollution. So my diorama, hopefully, will be likewise.

First Name
Peter
Started painting the road by splattering dark grey paint on the cement coloured road. Some areas became over splattered.
Then I dry brushed the dark areas with cement colour and the light areas with dark grey.
Followed by pointillising the patches in the same way, until it all looked fairly even.

First Name
Peter
Thank you cuneyt for your comment.

Finally painted the road surface for the span section. It was tricky.
Also painted the road markings and installed road reflectors.

Bottom pictures: I was playing around with 1/72 scale cars.

First Name
Peter
Thank you kpnuts.
It would be good to see a double-decker go through the bridge span. ;)

First Name
Peter
I am back after a long spell. Too many things come and gone to talk about it. So I'll just upload several update photographs of things done since April.

Cleaned up and painted parts of the console. Below shows what is under the Control Panel.
53_Control Panel touch-up 1.jpg

Below is a cleaned-up and revamped Control Panel.
54_Control Panel touch-up 2.jpg

First Name
Peter
To continue:
The Control Panel needs to be rewired, so I opted to do it the same way as the create wiring harnesses for automobiles. That is, to lay it all out on a flat board.

56_Wiring Harness Layout.jpg
I thought I would get this done in a day, but it actually took me few days. There is close to 60 wires, and each one had to be laid in and recorded. Most of the wires had small plastic numbered tags attached to their ends, for easy identification.

Then the top portion of the harness got attached to the underside of the Control Panel.

57_Control Panel Wiring.jpg

It still looks like a mess. But that will have to do, considering that nobody will be able to really see it.

Then the whole Control Panel got placed onto the console and the bottom portion of the harness attached to the three terminal strips.

58_Console Wiring-part 1.jpg

Most of the opposing connections to the terminal strips get wired to two D-Connectors affixed to the rear panel of the console.

59_Console Wiring-part 2.jpg

First Name
Peter
Thank you papa 695 and Snowman for your thumbs up. Much appreciated.

To continue:
Since the console interior is to be a Wiring Diorama it would be nice to have it lit. However, to make it even more of an interest and to save electricity, I decided to add a Passive Infrared (PIR) sensor operating the interior lighting. The interior lighting only comes ON when it detects a heat-source (human) walking near its vicinity. As soon as the visitor walks away, or switches the display ON, the interior lighting turns OFF.

The PIR had to be mounted above the proposed kick-board. So an angled bracket was made for the PIR.

60_Console PIR sensor.jpg

Cutting a portion of the original front panel for the kick-board.

IMG_2338-sml.jpg

Lined the console edges with felt (dyed gray).

61_Console Felt Lining.jpg

Lined the inside of the edges with strips of LED lighting.

62_Console LED Strip Lighting.jpg

Had to drill holes, through the perspex, in front of the PIR sensor so it can detect Infrared heat waves.

63_Console Front Panel.jpg

Finished Wiring Diorama in full display.

IMG_2391A&B.jpg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great,
will have to do a vid to show it all working,

First Name
Peter
Thank you Polux, monica, papa695, and liberator61 for your encouraging comments and :thumb2:
Hope you all will enjoy a specially creative 2018.

cq7Vhos.jpg

Above: 7 years between these two photographs.

8ejCfuI.jpg

Created footpath under the bridge and up the hill.
WAZEfea.jpg

D

Deleted member 3568

It's a pleasure to watch (for me it must be a mine field for yo)