Warhammer figure by my son.

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

I hope this is okay since I'm kind of posting someone else's work, but it's with my sons permission. A bit like me, Thomas is never happy with anything he does. He only sees the faults and often misses the big picture, so I asked if I could post up his latest figure to get some honest and independent critique.

He's 13, has been doing this for less than a year, and being a teenager his attention wanders between this and computer games so it's not really a full time hobby. Given his limited experience I think his work is fab, but then I'm no figure painter so would like to hear some genuine feedback.

Oh, and apparently it's a Chaos Havoc Aspiring Champion. I had to write that down so I didn't forget!

KelEgcu.jpg

7Mffcop.jpg

pabxgkZ.jpg

qotl1OE.jpg

Thanks,
Andy.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Stunning work Thomas. There are sometimes competition sections for Junior modellers at model shows and this would be up there with the best of them. Keep doing what your doing and you will soon be an expert figure painter. Great stuff and thanks for sharing.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Andy,

Having painted War hammer stuff for a couple of yrs in my late teens, I know how tricky it is to get all the details painted up neatly, in all the different colours.
I sincerely think Thomas has made an excellent job of this figure, well done that lad :thumb2::cool:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks guys, I'll pass your comments on to Thomas, I'm sure he'll be very pleased!

When Zoe & I praise his work he probably just thinks we're doing the parent thing, but I genuinely think he does some very good work. Glad you chaps think the same.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Paul & Pete. And Peter, a nod from you is like a Paul Hollywood handshake, much appreciated.

Maybe now he'll listen when we say he's pretty good at this :smiling3:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Tell Thomas very well done indeed.

I did fantasy Warhammer/GW in my youf and like Si know they can be difficult to get right.

My son is 11 and he wanders between video games and modelling although in his case he likes the build stage but doesn't seem fussed by the painting bit unless I've got the AB.

I regularly post his work up and he really appreciates the support.

ATB

Andrew

D

Deleted member 4539

Over all a very nicely painted figure :smiling3:.
So here is some honest feedback(not criticism).
While a lot of the parts of the figure are shaded the main green colour is very flat looking.I personally think that if the highlights ars pushed a bit more the figure will be taken to the level and your son will be a lot happier.
After only a year of painting just imagine what he can do in another year.

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Andrew, I've seen some of your sons work that you've posted here. It's great to have a shared interest like that.

Thanks Ralph, I appreciate the feedback. Like me he's always looking to improve so that will help him on his way.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks guys.

Thomas has read all of your comments and would like to say thank you, they have made him proud as punch. Zoe read them too and shed a tear of pride. We have tried to encourage him to throw one into the ring of competition and after reading your unbiased comments I think he's now tempted, but whatever the outcome of that he believes in his ability a bit more now, which is exactly what I was hoping for :smiling3:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I can only tip my hat and stand in awe of your talent…..Top job Thomas!!!

Watch out Scratchy, you definitely have some very good competition there buddy…...……...

Prost
Allen

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Thomas
Nice job on a busy figure bud. Detail and brush control are excellent. One to be proud of.

He is great as it stands, but your dad says you are always looking to improve, so here are some hints from a thirteen year old with about forty six years of practice.....not that you’ll need that long, you have talent and you’ll leave me behind very shortly....
There are some relatively simple tricks that you could learn to make him “pop” just a little more. Ralph’s advice is very good, and if it was me, I would look to bringing out the texture of the piece a little more by using washes. These are thin paint or ink, darker than the main colour coat, which emphasise the shadows around the raised areas. This is similar to a pin wash on model tanks etc. and there is loads on YouTube about them.
There are many ready made acrylic paint ranges that will help with this technique. Personally I like the Vallejo colour wash range, but most paint ranges designed for miniature painting have them.

I would also recommend that you have a look at a couple of web sites to get inspiration.......and to steal techniques :tongue-out3:

Coolminiornotnot (all one word) has some good tutorials and “lead adventure forum” has a lot of really interesting ideas and some excellent painters and builders.

Best advice though, have fun.......and sometimes do something out of your comfort zone to stretch your techniques....looking forward to seeing more of your work.....
Cheers
Tim