• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thomas.
Well done, how you manage to paint something that small cleanly and so precisely is to be commended.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks chaps, I'll let him read your replies when I see him next. Probably tomorrow (Saturday) evening.

He uses mostly citadel & army painter Tim. I'm sure he does have some washes too but can't be certain.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
If I could paint like that when I was 13 I'd be a very highly paid commercial artist today. I think the lad needs an attitude adjustment in the self esteem department. Cheers, Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Andy
In citadel terms, they are called “shaders”. Nuln oil comes to mind.....
I’ve also heard (and seen) good things about their “Contrast” paint range, which might be worth him looking into.....in fact, there is an almost bewildering range of paint types in the citadel armoury, but the colour range is obviously complimentary to their associated figure ranges.
In my opinion, the Army painter stuff is better suited to historical figures, but again they have a diverse range that can be explored. The washes are very versatile, though similar to the Vallejo I already use. I occasionally use strong tone myself, though as it’s slightly less intense than Vallejo black. I would avoid the “dip” technique though, he’s already beyond that, and as long as it doesn’t become counterproductive and sap his self confidence, the “I could do better” attitude is a good thing as it is what will drive him on to continually improve.
Cheers
Tim

D

Deleted member 6559

Just want to re-iterate that I can see nothing wrong with that figure. Thomas has managed to achieve effects of shading that I can only dream of - very nuanced and finely blended. At just 13, to achieve that quality, and at that tiny scale means the lad's got a bright future's modelling before him. Still in awe.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Fully agree with Peter. My comments are just pointers to things he might like to try, not criticisms of things that are wrong....

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Thomas
Well done. That is a really great result. Hope you will continue with the hobby as younger people are the future. My son started painting these kind of Games Workshop figures when he was around your age. He actually worked part time in the Games Workshop shop in Sheffield when he was at university. He is now 40 and still enjoys painting his "armies"
Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks once again for the great comments everyone. Thomas is blown away, as am I. Today he started to paint a few figures for one of his friends for the first time. I've no doubt your kind words have given him the confidence to do that. I'll keep encouraging him and maybe I can retire early off his commission earnings! :smiling5:

Tim I think he only uses the (cheaper) Army Painter colours when he can find a very close match to a Citadel one, although he's getting more and more comfortable at mixing his own.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
No probs with that Andy, both are good paint ranges. Mixing your own is a great way forward though, I’m well impressed.....

D

Deleted member 7181

I spend my working life mixing and tinting paint so it comes fairly natural to me. Trying to pass it on to someone else is another matter entirely, but he's a quick learner.