Washes - Have I got this right?

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
So its been a while, have I got this right ?

1. Paint with Acrylic
  2. Acrylic Gloss Varnish
  3. Decals
  4. Acrylic Gloss Varnish
  5. Enamel Wash
  6. Acrylic Matt Varnish

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Warren,
no. 5 - just wash! it can be enamel, acrylic, or ink, bought made up, or made at home..........
Dave

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
Warren,
no. 5 - just wash! it can be enamel, acrylic, or ink, bought made up, or made at home..........
Dave

Gotcha Dave ty -

I was of the impression the wash needed to be enamel if my base was acrylic or vice a versa. Makes things much easier, intend to experiment with making up my own shades.

Warren

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I was of the impression the wash needed to be enamel if my base was acrylic or vice a versa.
There are no “needs” and “musts” in modelling :smiling3: The main thing to keep in mind with washes is to not use a thinner in them that will damage the coats below: if you’ve painted your model with enamels, then adding an enamel wash over it is likely to make the paint run, for example, because the thinner in the wash will dissolve the dry paint already on the model. Acrylic paint doesn’t have this problem if you thin your wash with water, as hardened acrylics are impervious to water, but some types of alcohol can dissolve acrylics after they’ve hardened too.

Enamel over acrylic or the other way around is always safe, though: neither (normally) uses thinners that will affect the other.

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Enamel over acrylic or the other way around is always safe, though: neither (normally) uses thinners that will affect the other.

Jakko

Thanks for confirming that, I'll always wondered!!

ATB

Andrew

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
It's also worth considering clay based washes (like Flory or Ultimate) which can be washed completely off with tap water if things don't go the way you wanted. :smiling3: