Washing Parts

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I don’t know the general opinion on this but I do wash all parts in warm soapy water then let them air dry before assembling them see attached
It’s to get rid of mould release agent or oil etc from the part is it still needed for modern kits I’ve no idea I just do as a force of habit from years ago when you could actually see the oil on the part which would prevent glue & paint from adhering to the surface
Regards
Colin
284419C4-4521-40B6-B426-8C1DC968E831.jpeg4899B115-881A-4A17-947B-3E4B1CA409D4.jpeg928FFBC3-E941-4DC7-8C1F-5B02E5798D43.jpeg
069D41BA-83B0-4A65-A652-683B99D8495C.jpeg

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I do too, when I remember. I'm not sure it makes any difference with modern kits, but I've had some older kits that look as if they've been dipped in old sump oil.
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I used to do this, but I don’t do it before assembly unless the sprues are particularly bad. Adhesive is solvent based and will cut through any surface grease. However, with todays water based paints any grease will interfere with paint adhesion. I therefore always wash the model before painting to get rid of finger grease from handling and swarf from assembly.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Colin,

I've never washed kit parts before building them like Tim said, but I do wash resin parts before assembly to get rid of any mold release agents on them. I always wash my hands with dish soap before I hit the table for building and painting too. Never had a prob...Yet.....

Prost
Allen

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I've realised there's not much point as washing won't get rid of big gluey fingerprints lol, I give everything a quick coat of tamiya rattle can primer and never had any problems.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
I never wash the kit parts before I start a build.
I do wipe the model over with IPA before painting it though and then wear gloves when handling it.

Seems to work ok for me :thinking:

Geoff.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
As a rule I don’t wash the sprues like this.

There is one exception and that was the Trumpeter 1/24 Hurricane and that was because the parts looked and felt exceptionally greasy.

That said I have always wiped sub-assemblies down before painting with ipa to remove finger grease and rubble. These days though I, just spray a degreaser before painting.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
I usually spray a degreaser on the sprues (plastic or PE) and then wash them under slowly running lukewarm water before starting the assembly. I know now it's seldom necessary, but why not?:smiling4:
When I'm going to paint the model I use the airbrush with just air to remove all the solid dirt then I clean the surfaces with a degreaser for fingerprints and other oily marks.
This rigmarole is far from granting a professional finish to my model :hugging-face:, but, at the same time, it's not harmful. :nerd:

Andrea

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I do wash the sprues, purely as a matter of habit! I do this late at night, so that after rinsing, I can let them air-dry overnight. The modern acrylics don't have the same 'grip ' as enamels, so I like to give them the best base!
Dave

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Work no never my opinion on modelling is an escapism from work unless you do commission builds or work in the industry producing models for films tv series etc
I work 0730 to 1530 5 days a week after 1530 I like to relax for a hour or so reading or researching usually on the kit I’m building after this I then do an hours prep before dinner be that washing parts sanding down or priming as I said usually around an hour afterwards
I have dinner then around 1930 ish I go back to the bench / table in my case and by this time the washed parts have dried and can be worked on or the primer has dried sufficiently for the next stage etc
Modelling for me is about enjoyment as soon as it becomes a chore or like too much work then it’s time pack up and do something else to while away the twilight years
I’m hoping this hobby will keep my brain functioning for a few more years yet

Regards

Colin

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Like DaveW I wash the models as a matter of habit and it also, for me, signals the 'start of build'.
As well as having the usual detergent in the solution, I also add some distilled malt vinegar (the clear stuff). This helps cut through grease films.
Then a clear rinse and air dry.
Leaving to dry overnight is the best option as my wife isn't needing to use the kitchen table then :tears-of-joy:
Regards,
John

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Personally I've never seen the logic of washing sprues before you start unless, as Barry found, a particular kit looks 'greasy'. However clean your hands are they will leave residue as you're building. I can't work with gloves as some do. Before painting I go over the model with a soft brush dipped in lighter fluid. It degreases well and evaporates very quickly. In my experience it won't harm styrene, resin, metal etc and doesn't effect any glue. Just don't smoke and open a window :smiling:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
For the first time, I brushed my current build Spitfire with a soft brush dipped in meths before priming and found it worked very well. Mind you, I use lacquer based primer and Tamiya paint thinned with MLT, which is also cellulose based. They would both cut through grease without real effort. The meths clean was more to remove building swarf and detritus.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I always forget to wash my sprue so a licked finger run down any seams I've sanded is about it for me :tongue-out3: always the professional :smiling6:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have washed the odd kit here and there. But most of the time, never had the need.
I dont know if the IPA I can get here is a High octane version but the last time I tried to wipe a kit down befor painting. it damaged the plastic.
Do you dilute it further?

Buy the way the last time I washed a kit, it was the Kitty Hawk Jaguar GR1. Looked like the bags of sprues had all gotten a squirt of oil! I digress. I washed the parts in warm soapy water and left them to dry... Bad idea. Our water is so hard that you could see and even worse feel chalky marks where the water had formed drops and dried in.
Had to wash the darn thing again!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I have some 99% IPA, and I've never seen any damage to the plastic Ian.
I wash sprues before starting a kit when I remember, and occasionally hose down the model before painting with an airbrush full of IPA. I'm not sure how much difference it makes, unless the parts are visibly greasy.
Pete

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Hallo, I'm Andrea and I'm a sprue washer! :tongue-out2::tongue-out3:
I did it today too, as I had to wait for the satin cote of my Spit to cure and I couldn't resist to wash my next kit.
So, I'haven't sobered yet.:tongue-out::dizzy::tongue-out3:.

Andrea ;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Are you sure that wasn’t propanol Ian? If so, you wiped it down with TET…..