Water splodges from airbrush

J

john bibby

hI all,

I have recently come across a problem that I had not had before maybe someone could help me and throw some light on this one.

Airbrushing Tamiya acrylic paint thinned appropriatley suddenly started to throw out blobs of water. I have a mini compressor with moisture trap which does collect water so where are these annoying blobs coming from?

I heve not had this before so it has taken me by surprise.

Eagerly waiting a solution.

John.

S

Spyderman_uk

Even though you have a water trap I would put money on the fact that most of the airline you have is after the trap.

The warm air cools down in the airline up to the airbrush, condensing the water vapour in it.

Other than moving the trap to nearer the brush the only thing you can do is periodically remove the airline off the airbrush, lower it onto the floor and let it blow out the moisture.

G

Gladiator111

Hi John

I had exactly the same problem, even though I had a moisture trap at the compressor it would still spurt out water amongst the paint. Have a look at this link http://www.scale-models.co.uk/painting/7540-airbrush-water-spattering-help.html where the guys helped me out with an inline moisture trap that fits directly to your airbrush and cost only £10. It also doubles up as a nice handle!

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chris

B

beav1013

i've also had the same problem recently. not sure if my compressor is cheap, but i found that when this happens is normally after i've been working for an extended period of time and the compressor is hot. turning off the compressor for a little bit so it can cool down, then leaving the hose connected to the compressor only and turning it back on tends to get rid of the hose moisture. i also have a moisture trap from the compressor to the hose that would need to be emptied as much as possible.

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
Easy solution: Place a fan, any fan directly over the air compressor. This cools the tank. I learned this trick from the guys at Bearair. I was also alarmed to learn that the water trap (in my case the iwata trigger finger) was worsening the situation by reducing air pressure and forcing the flow of air back into the moister trap. When the guys display thier top of the line air compressors at trade shows, they have to have giant box fans on top of them forcing air cooling on top of the pistons. I wish I'd known this sooner. Not one drop of water since a $5.00 fan suspended 3 inches above my Ac solved water spatter, even in the summer! HTH, Jeff