wearing gloves?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
I watch a few YouTube modelling videos and often the modeller is shown wearing gloves. They look like thin rubber/plastic, often blue colour. A few questions .....
Is wearing gloves common? How many of you model in gloves? Why - protect the model? protect your hands? What gloves are they?
Thanks in advance. Just interested in your views.
Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

The blue ones are almost certainly nitrile. They can be had in several colours but blue is most common.

I should wear them at work by law but just can't get on with them. If you ever try masking up in nitrile gloves you'll know why, the tape sticks to the glove and rips them to shreds.

I'd say it's a good idea for modelling, but not essential if you have a good hand cleaner.

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Jim,

They are usually the nitrile type gloves worn by medical personnel - I use them but
only if I have to physically hold something to spray it, or using something like burnishing
fluid :smiling: :smiling: I don't use them for general muggelling as a rule tho. I suppose some proper
muggellers out there also don't want their greasy finger prints on the paint/plastic

You can obtain them from chemist shops - medical supply companies and probably without
me looking you will find them on evilbay or amazonia.

Saves removing your skin when cleaning paint etc from the hands.

Paul.
:smiling:

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I use them but only when I'm spraying and I wear just the one, the hand that's holding the part being sprayed, stops me coming out with painted fingers. :smiling3:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
As the guys above have said, I tend to only wear one when painting, although this is more to protect the model from my skin oils rather than my hand from the paint.

I buy them in Wilko's they are about £4 for a box of 100.

D

Deleted member 4539

Just for spraying and only the hand holding the part to be sprayed.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I have a box of latex surgical gloves, powder free - white. I use one when I have to airbrush a model, and handle it, I invariably overspray, and it prevents me from getting paint on my hand. The other hand is glove free to operate the airbrush. I'm not sure it's a good idea to spray any paint on your skin, albeit accidentally - probably overkill, but better safe than end up with a skin complaint.
I bought them from Amazon, they were date-expired ( not good for human patients, but a model doesn't care! ), and consequently not that expensive. They are very thin, and it's easy to pull the cuff off! ( I have big hands! ). I have used them in the past when mixing resin, ( which can be an irritant ).
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
As others have said, yes but only the hand hold the piece I'm spraying.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I tried it once but really disliked it, never used gloves again, I like to 'feel' what I got in my hands... Cheers, Steven

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks so much for you prompt response. I now know what they are and wearing one on my left hand for airbrushing is a great idea.
Jim

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Never used gloves before i made the P-38. Because it is a NMF i've worn gloves to stop the fingerprint issue showing through the paint.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Agree with one on the left, but I use really cheap pound shop PVC gloves for that....
Nitrile pretty much replace Latex about fifteen years ago due to latex allergies....funnily enough, unlike Andy, in my industry Purple was the most common colour.....if you can get them, and are not allergic of course, latex gives the most feel in use....

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I WEAR them clear pastic gloves when I was firber glassin in tiger's hull an an plastic gloves an a mask an plastic goggles when im spray paintin my big ships as they need about ten to twenty coats of primer an top coat paint an spray varnish so protection is a must
chris

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
May also be risk avoidance, so they can’t get sued by someone that has an allergic reaction perhaps.....

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Interesting to get all your thoughts. I have never worn gloves for modelling but I'll certainly buy some cheap ones now. A left hand glove for airbrushing and gloves for protecting certain finishes sounds sensible.
Thanks
Jim

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I always have a box of gloves for working on the bike, for modelling I just use one on my right hand when painting with the airbrush.

Andy.