Weathering advice request - oils over acrylic gloss by brush.

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
I'm building a Dingo in desert buff acrylic paint by brush, and would like to use oils and pigments for weathering once complete. I'll go for desert weathering, so red oxide chipping if any, maybe some rust on the exhaust, welds, and joins. I'll probably do the chipping before any oils, to soften that once complete.
My question though is this - I know I need a gloss coat after the acrylic is finsihed. I have some Windsor and Newton artist's acrylic in gloss (and matte, but I'll use that last). I know I need a coat to protect the finish before weathering. But how do I thin the varnish to apply by brush? I've tried it from the bottle and it's way too thick.
I've seen online I may be able to use a 50/50 mix of IPA and distilled water to thin. Does anyone have any experience of that? Or any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Dale,
You will probably get a hundred different ways of doing this. My go to method is once the basic colours have been applied and allowed to dry, I use Johnsons Klear to seal the paint. Then using the dot method small spots of oil paint are applied randomly then using a flat brush just moistened with white spirit is drawn down the paintwork to show streaking and rain marks. Next a very thin wash of dark brown or black depending on the vehicle colour is flowed into panel lines and rivets. After a while a moisten brush is used to carefully remove any excess.
The other guys will have their own methods and some very useful videos can be seen on Utube. But the main thing is to experiment and have fun and you will find what works for you.

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Hi Dale,
You will probably get a hundred different ways of doing this. My go to method is once the basic colours have been applied and allowed to dry, I use Johnsons Klear to seal the paint. Then using the dot method small spots of oil paint are applied randomly then using a flat brush just moistened with white spirit is drawn down the paintwork to show streaking and rain marks. Next a very thin wash of dark brown or black depending on the vehicle colour is flowed into panel lines and rivets. After a while a moisten brush is used to carefully remove any excess.
The other guys will have their own methods and some very useful videos can be seen on Utube. But the main thing is to experiment and have fun and you will find what works for you.
Thanks Paul. Can Johnsons Klear be applied by brush OK? I've seen a lot about using iti with an AB (and I'll probably get one of those soon enough!).
The problem I was having with the W&N varnish is it's too thick. Thin with water? Or just get another medium? Cheers.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Dale
Go with Scotties advice….he‘s very good at this!

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
As Tim said!
People have different methods of doing things, some great utube tutorials but try to follow maybe one persons vids
to start with other wise as I found out you can be overloaded with info and not be able to see the wood for trees so to speak!

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Thanks all. I think I've answered my own question with a bit of experimentation. The thread subject was misleading, for which I apologise. What I needed to know was how to thin acrylic varnish to brush paint.
I've found that with a 50/50 mix of varnish to IPA it thins very well, and also dries very fast. That's actually a bonus, when brush painting. I'll see tomorrow how well it holds up to some oil paints. I used one of my old Space Marine figures for a test. I actually painted him last year, so perhaps the brush skills are not as rusty as I thought. Sorry about the poor focus (on his feet!?)
Will update once I've played...
IMG_20210807_192713293_HDR_2.jpg

Reactions: JR

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Paul. Can Johnsons Klear be applied by brush OK? I've seen a lot about using iti with an AB (and I'll probably get one of those soon enough!).
The problem I was having with the W&N varnish is it's too thick. Thin with water? Or just get another medium? Cheers.
I brush it on mate a few very thin coats. I don't spray it as it tends to gum up the AB.

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
I brush it on mate a few very thin coats. I don't spray it as it tends to gum up the AB.
Have you tried it with a flow enhancer? A few drops of glycerin works aparently. I have no expereince of this, just going by a YT video. I think it was 175ml of IPA, 250ml ofdistilled water and 15 drops of glycerin. Then use that as a thinner for the varnish. Maybe 50/50? You could try experimenting if you feel brave?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’ve used Klear both ways with no issues. It brushes and sprays well straight out of the bottle…..never had problems gumming up the airbrush either, but then I do tend to clean up with Mr Color levelling thinner which is lacquer based….

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Dale, we can often go off tangent in advice but honestly the W&N varnish is basically used by those who have an art background. Modellers tend to use Future floor polish for varnishes since it was discovered and swear by it. As for thinning, Future just needs water but for other acrylic varnishes your mixture of IPA would be the go to. I would google the brands of varnishes for their contents and properties before using it unless I have time for experimentation.

Cheers,
Richard

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Dale, we can often go off tangent in advice but honestly the W&N varnish is basically used by those who have an art background. Modellers tend to use Future floor polish for varnishes since it was discovered and swear by it. As for thinning, Future just needs water but for other acrylic varnishes your mixture of IPA would be the go to. I would google the brands of varnishes for their contents and properties before using it unless I have time for experimentation.

Cheers,
Richard
Thanks Richard. Appreciate it. I shall look for some Klear.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've never used IPA in this way - I've always used it in a pint glass, with good company, good music and a comfortable bed to go home to! Still, let's experiment and see how it goes! :smiling4:

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
I've never used IPA in this way - I've always used it in a pint glass, with good company, good music and a comfortable bed to go home to! Still, let's experiment and see how it goes! :smiling4:
Lol. The IPA I refer too is 198% proof and comes in litres! I should think you'd need a hospital bed after that :smiling3:

NB - for those worried, this is a joke. Never consume, imbibe, eat, sniff or whatever any product intended for modelling. It will probably make you very ill, and could possibly kill you! Safety first. If in doubt, consult an appropriate adult.