Weathering Armour Books

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
As i normally only ever build in the world of wingy things i am going to try and ask for help from those who live in the mud filled gullys lol. If i was to buy one book and one book only on weathering armour (funds are limited so not expensive please), which book would you guys recommend?

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I would recommend "Adam's Armour 2 - Painting and finishing", wasn't cheap (and I'm a cheap guy) but I learned so much with this book. My favorite weathering book.

356673863.jpg
Cheers, Steven

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Al.
I've only a couple of books, one by Amig very good, but a cheaper way is to use UTube. Vallejo and Amig have a whole series of videos, plus numerous others .
Plus for building copies of the old MM, Emanuel (, can't remember his full name )a French Diorama model builder.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I was going to say the same as John, plenty of free videos of weathering on YouTube Alan.

Reactions: JR

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Al.
I've only a couple of books, one by Amig very good, but a cheaper way is to use UTube. Vallejo and Amig have a whole series of videos, plus numerous others .
Plus for building copies of the old MM, Emanuel (, can't remember his full name )a French Diorama model builder.
Agree....I’ve learnt more from YouTube than I have from any paint/ weathering book :nerd:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
The problem with a lot of books is they have lots of products pictures and little text, some are better than others, but some subjects have been done to death, and repeat in a lot of books, if you or anyone want a book(s) I have in stock, let me know I will do you a very good price, I’m finding book sales have slowed down a lot, and I’m trying to clear some out, probably the reason is because of sites like YouTube, I’ve recently started fishing and have learnt so much from peoples videos.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Alan

In terms of books on armour and even some terrain Vallejo do one by Rob Ferreira aka Scratchmod which I have learnt a lot from. I got my mine from Scale Model Shop a few years ago.

Alternatively, as the others have said though the internet and YouTube is a great place to pick stuff up.

This is a nice simple guide I've found useful: https://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2003/01/stuff_eng_tech_afv_weathering.htm.

I also came across this YouTube channel. The guy is a genius but at the same time not above himself. This video on cheap pigments inspired and impressed me so much I went out and bought the products he uses.

ATB

Andrew

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Andrew i have watched Plasmo's videos in the past, especially his Fw190 build and then the diorama to go along with it. Simply stunning.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andrew i have watched Plasmo's videos in the past, especially his Fw190 build and then the diorama to go along with it. Simply stunning.

It is stunning indeed. He also did the best airbrush novices guide I've personally seen.

When I got my first AB last year it was really helpful as he demonstrated what each of the potential paint mixture and pressure issues actually looked like rather than just talk about them, which for me at the time was priceless and saved me so frustration, not to mention wasted paint!!!☺️

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Adding my little bit to this debate. I have invested in the books and cd's, and along the way through them have picked up pointers here and there. But the utube videos actually show you what the books cannot and that is the process due obviously to publication limitations. But I usually base my weathering/build on a real vehicle if possible and use photo's for my starter. And I must agree that Plasmo's videos are ones to watch among others - rewind - and watch again.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys. YT it is then