"Weathering" Car interiors?

First Name
Adrian
My current build is calling out for the interior of my Aston Martin to be painted Tamiya XF 63 German Grey, if I do this it will be all one colour and not realistic at all.

With aircraft interiors I put a wash over in an appropriate colour, black, brown etc, what do I do with my car as it's a new car it wouldn't have any stains or wear and tear marks but I don't want it to look like plastic by the same token, so any suggestions?

Adrian

D

dubster72

How about colour modulation? Add a touch of white to the grey & hit the edges of surfaces with that, getting progressively lighter as you move upward. So the dash would be lighter than the centre console etc.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
bit of dry brushing with a light colour to bring out the highlights

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
You could also make subtle differences, such as to the steering wheel or the gear shift Adrain. Make a section of it shiny where it is held the most and therefore worn a little. Also the gear stick shift can have the same effect. Of course this assumes that Aston Martin use leather and not some synthetic plastic rubbish. Maybe darken/lighten the floor in sections to represent foot wear in the driver's side. In addition to using lighter/darker colours you could also try using a subtle matt coat over certain areas to give a slightly worn effect to the upholstery/leather seats.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think I would pin wash the detail to increase the shadows and then a quick dry brush to lift the highlights.

An Aston is not a typical "school run" car and I would hope kept in tip top order.

I dont think you can get an Aston with 'plastic' in the cabin. European leather. (no barbwire to scar the hides).

Pick out the detail and keep it clean.

Ian M

First Name
Adrian
I've got some flock for the carpet in a nice matching grey and when I had finished the german grey I add a few drops of white and just ghosted some of the edges, it looked good when in the spray booth, now its dry it looks just the same, lol

Adrian

V

V1P3R

Got a pic of the shape and style of the seats?

If white isn't showing well then maybe a darker shade in creases and folds?