Weathering panel lines with rivets either side.

L

Laurie

On the Merlin helicopter (1/48 scale) there are panel lines and on each side there are rows of rivets.

I am trying to emulate the Afghanistan scenario. Spent a lot of time finding pictures of the state these helicopters got into. They really took a pasting. They collected sand or dust all over the helicopter and copiously.

Practiced and practiced trying to get these panels line and rivets looking authentic. Has to be free hand airbrushing to get the feathering at the edges of the rivets ie masking cannot be used as it provides a sharp line. That is it it needs an un-sharp line on each side.

Although frustrating in trying to achieve the effect I got to say I have learnt more about the possibilities of an airbrush and the techniques available. I have tried many things including removing the protective cap to get closer in etc.

Any ideas techniques gratefully received. May say that I am not frustrated in this attempt as I have found it, despite then number of hours used, very fascinating. It needs to look authentic otherwise it will just looked botched.

Attached a photo which gives an idea. There are worse but cannot locate the photo.

View attachment 87920

Just to confirm that I am acrylic. Matter of interest anything acrylic clothes etc sets off a skin reaction. Itching.

Laurie

b5.jpg

Last edited:
D

dubster72

You might try pastels Laurie. Grind them up well, and either make a slurry wash or apply fairly thickly dry with a fingertip. Then gradually rub off the excess with a cotton bud (or a clean finger!) until you're happy with the effect.

The dry method has the advantage of being easy to wash off if it doesn't suit.

L

Laurie

Thanks Patrick. I will have a go. Also thought I might try sprinkling pigment I suppose similar thing.

Laurie

First Name
Jason
If it were me Laurie I'd be tempted to try sort of a reverse pre shade maybe! Paint the whole thing in the solid finished colour then apply the lighter dust colours to the panel lines and then overpaint with very thin (almost filter) top coat again. This should give you the ground in dust effect then apply pastels or pigment to simulate the fresh stuff.

Never tried to simulate it myself though so good luck, look forward to seeing how you get on.

Jason

C

Caledonia

Personally I would use the oil paint technique I explained to you in my HMS Roberts, if applied on a wetted surface, the oils can be feathered in very will with a cotton bud. Good luck Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Vallejo pigments spray rather well. just dont use to fine a nozzle...

ian m

L

Laurie

Thanks all that gives me a lot to chew on. Lots of great info thanks for your time.

All down to me now. The hard bit.

Laurie

T

treyzx10r

I use poster tach or silly putty a lot to mask for a soft (feathered) edge with the a/b. I just roll it into logs and place it on the surface then spray at a 45% or so angle .