Weathering panel wash colour help needed.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi guys,

I need help. :smiling3:

I'm getting ready to start weathering my Challenger 1 which currently looks like this:

tmp_30754-IMG_20170130_2211561377871860.jpg

I'd bought some Humbrol sand wash, but after a quick test it seems far to light. The Tamiya desert yellow base coat has darkened since it's been varnished.

So I'm in a quandary as to what colour to use for the pin wash. I'm thinking black may be too dark, so would a burnt sienna or brown work better? I'm just not sure so thought I would ask you guys for advice. :smiling3:

Cheers,

B

D

dubster72

I never use black for pin washing Bob, I much prefer dark brown, usually burnt sienna.

I think that looks best on sand coloured vehicles.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Patrick, you've confirmed what I was thinking. ;)

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I couldn't get Sienna, but have ordered brown, sepia and ochre so should be able to get some good results with those. :smiling3:

J

John Rixon

I really recommend you try and get some Paynes grey - it is actually a really deep blue, almost black, but critically, not black, therefore it retains transparency. This makes it eminently suitable for darkening Browns and ochres for washes. If you want to use oil washes, and make your own, I'd call it essential!

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Are you using oil or acrylic washes Bob??. On the rare occasion I use acrylics I like to use Umber Wash and Sepia Shade. For oils its Raw Umber,Vandyke Brown, Burnt Sienna and Paynes Gray. For the more greasy/oily areas I use Warm Sepia Extra. Look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Steve, my original post was from 2 years ago when I was starting out. Since then I've acquired a drawer full of enamel and clay washes and various tubes of oil paint.

I tried acrylic washes a couple of times in the early days but haven't gone back to them since. :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
If you’re still interested in useful colours, W and N oil colour Naples Yellow light is great for drybrushing and fading out German Yellow....

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
My sincere apologies Bob. I should have read the post dates. I put it down to a senior moment!:smiling3: