Weathering pencils

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
A (slightly) cheaper alternative to the model weathering pencils are artists watercolour pencils. I like the Derwent ones personally. Good pigments and work well wet. You can also buy sets of metallic, ideal for weathering and so on. Of course, if you want the real thing, specifically designed and made for the job, check out the shop.

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice one Dale.
You can make your own rust as well , placing metal screw in a jar and adding some water. Soon have a sludge that is the real thing. Just seal with a varnish.
Fine soil and sand from swirling muddy water about in a pale / bucket and collecting the fine debris in the bottom. This I dry out, then MW to kill off any unwanted vegetation !

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Nice one Dale.
You can make your own rust as well , placing metal screw in a jar and adding some water. Soon have a sludge that is the real thing. Just seal with a varnish.
Fine soil and sand from swirling muddy water about in a pale / bucket and collecting the fine debris in the bottom. This I dry out, then MW to kill off any unwanted vegetation !
Love this. Great tip. I'll definitely be trying it out. Thanks John :thumb2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Cheap pastels are good as well. Just grind them up on fine wet and dry……