Weathering report

First Name
Gary
Had a go with my 1/72 Hurricane at some weathering. Used acrylic wash and it seemed ok but was a bugger to get off. As a beginner is it better to just do the panel lines and/or buy a dedicated wash as I'm not sure I got the water to paint ration correct or maybe applied it a bit "blobby" ?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
For washes i have only ever used Flory washes. The are water clay based and are so easy to use, your grannie could.

First Name
Gary
I was looking at a YT video and he was saying the same thing. Saw some today in my local model shop. No harm in trying it and I guess black ?

Edit: Just watched the Flory Models video. Thats the product I need as it does everything I want. I can worry about being "exotic" at a later date. Gone for the dark earth as he recommends on the video

Last edited:
First Name
Gary
Turns out local shop doesn't sell it but uses it for his own models. Good endorsment I think. So ordered from Flory

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Gary,
I make my own washes - I shave/scrape soft pastels, mix with water & a drop or two of washing up liquid ( removes surface tension ) & use the same way as a commercial product.
I bought my pastels from Amazon, but ebay, and local artists/office also stock the sort of thing...................pastels.jpg
As long as you have the dark colours + white, you can make all washes - they last a long time - some of the colours will never be used, they cost about the same as one bottle of premixed stuff.
It takes a bit of experimenting to get the right consistency, they're not as durable as normal washes, but, I always seal in the washes with varnish anyway, so that's not a problem.
This the home made wash on the just finished Tie FighterDSCF0168.JPG
Dave

First Name
Gary
I'm going to experiment Dave so thanks for that. I have an art room full of very expensive oils and some of those soft pastels. Well, when I say me I mean my daughter. She's looking nervous already