Weathering suggestions for next time? ICM 1:35 Panther beobachtungspanzer (artillery observer vehicle).

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
Dear all,

This is a kind call for my fellow modellers to provide inspiration on how to add more weathering, or do weathering differently, than what has been done in this case, to use for my next weathering projects (among them: 1:35 Brummbär early, desert yellow monotone Kursk).

Below are pictures of the ICM Panther I just finished. I am mostly calling it finished because I want to see it done, put it on a flat car, and move on to the next subject, as I am going for making army trains.

I am happy with the final result myself, so don't be afraid to chip in with suggestions for what could have been done differently or what could have been added. I had great fun building it, also, even though the ICM plastic is brittle.

The aim of this one was to try and make it look dirty with mud and rain. For the latter purpose, I used Vallejo's Rainmarks you could say in place of a regular wash. (However, I also used two layers of wash before this: Vallejo desert yellow and some brown hue). I could definitely improve to make more realistic rainmarks, but not sure how exactly. I often enjoy weathering, but also often doubt if what I am about to do will be satisfying to me afterwards. I am not yet experienced, and so am still learning my way around weathering, etc.

To save time, and to be able to compare company quality, almost all builds are OOB.

If there are any questions, please let me know.

Kind regards.

thumbnail_IMG_1752.jpgthumbnail_IMG_1753.jpgthumbnail_IMG_1754.jpgthumbnail_IMG_1755.jpgthumbnail_IMG_1756.jpgthumbnail_IMG_1757.jpgthumbnail_IMG_1758.jpg

Last edited:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
The world of weathering is an endless one. You are certainly off to a fine start with the Panther. There is so much help and advice on the tinternet that it is a matter of practicing what inspires you and then over time developing your own style.

As for rain streaks your best bet is the art of using oils on your models. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that can help you.

Look forward to seeing how you progress

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Christian
Nice looking Panther. I agree with Steve that oils are really useful. There are many, many products out there which purport to solve all your weathering issues - instant easy results. I personally feel that they are mostly overpriced and will separate you from your hard earned cash very quickly. These products are usually enamel or acrylic based.
Steve has some very helpful YouTube videos HERE. He uses simple basic materials - artists oils and pigments - and gets superb results.
Jim

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Looks the business Sir!!

As said Steve does a fantastic bit of mud slinging lol.:tongue-out3: excellent YT channel to boot

Loads on YT, i buy a cheap kit to practice on and just build the hull then get out the mud to hide the many misstakes lol

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
Thank you for the words of encouragement and my apologies for not responding to the first comments sooner. It is appreciated.

I do not use oils, enamels, or airbrush, for health reasons. It's my attempt at doing it carefully from the beginning, as I have approximately 100 years of modelling ahead.

I have viewed the YouTube-link, and also found it helpful, thanks Jim! Have seen lots and lots of YouTube-material, and find that a lot more or less carries over from enamels/oils to acrylics. Vallejo has a range of mediums designed to give the same effect as oils, but for acrylics. I am still looking forward to trying them, as they have been in a box for a few years - I will get around to it ;)

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Christian,
weathering can be difficult to gauge when to stop! You Tube has loads of videos showing how to use washes, filters etc ( usually using some overpriced special products ) If you have acrylics & varnishes, you can make your own - using clear matt varnishes to reduce the opacity of your paints & tap water to alter the viscosity - use an old model to experiment on.
For your Panther, I'd suggest a little wear - think about how the crew get into their positions, scrape marks/footprints around hatches, paint worn off handholds. If you think your model looks a little too bright & fresh - an overall coat of matt varnish, with just a touch of neutral grey helps to tone things down - its a matter of experimenting - a little at a time ( which is where your practice model comes in! ).
I have found that if I'm unsure about to add more weathering, leave it aside for a day or two, and try to look at it with fresh eyes!
Cheers, Dave