Welcome to the first GB of 2012

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I hope that you have all survived the New Years celebrations and that the heads are not suffering to much...

I hope that you all can fine a suitable subject for this quite open subject. Any thing goes really as long as it has been captured by 'the other side'.

So as per the normal procedure; Start your thread and please include your name in the Title.

Box shot and sprue photos as soon as possible, preferably in the first thread.

Regarding any chit chat for THIS GB Please keep it in THIS thread.

Have fun with it.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Is it new year already? I've only just had my Christmas dinner :smiling3:

Must be one of those Dr Who cracks in time!

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
No you are not that drunk Steve. I just thought I would get ahead of the game and not leave it to the actual day. Besides I have to go to work between Christmas and New Years so I would probably forgotten to do it.

Dr Who. Hope they show the new ones over here.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
No you are not that drunk Steve. I just thought I would get ahead of the game and not leave it to the actual day..Ian M
Thank heavens for that!

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You are an eager bever. I like that!

You will need to open your own build thread and post the above in that.

We cant have every body putting their builds in this one now can we.

Ian M

B

Brickie

Ooh, that's a thought. I got the Airfix 1/48 Stuka for Christmas and I've been wondering what to do with it. I believe that there were a couple of examples captured in the western desert by the British and used as squadron hacks, like this one of 112 squadron:

Alternatively, the kit comes with Italian markings, which tempts me to do this one:

Just need to get the appropriate decals sorted out and do a bit of research.

G

Greg147

@Brickie

If it's a Stuka you're doing, here's an image you could use. I was considering making it myself for the 'from a photo' GB. Thought it would be quite a nice diorama, especially with the sign. ;)

View attachment 41884

captured112stuka1.jpg

B

Brickie

Nice picture - though looking again, the 112 Squadron example is a D, whereas the model in the box is a B. Hadn't realised how different they looked until I went back to that post.

I also thought about doing a diorama of the moment of capture: a damaged Stuka, set down in the desert, a British 8th Army patrol (possibly the ones who shot it down) arriving to take possession. Only trouble is, I'd need some 1/48 8th army figures and as far as I can tell there aren't any. I suppose I could use some regular "European campaign" Tommies and just paint the uniforms a different colour?

Also - and this could be the killer - I need to find some 1/48 figures of Italian aircrew surrendering (or at least standing around casually)...

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Spike Milligan told a story of he and his colleagues actually starting a Stuka they found abandoned on an airfield. Somewhat surprised by their unexpected success they threw rocks at the spinning propeller with inevitable and dangerous results. Then,unable to turn it off,their officer emptied his revolver into it. It was still running so they moved on and left it as it was!

Now if I can just find a Milligan figure........

Actually I'm in. Mine will be a Fw190 and in the unusual,for me,scale of 1/72.

Cheers

Steve

B

Brickie

I think I've found some Italian Aircrew in casual poses by CMK

... and I'm told Tamiya are bringing out some 1/48 8th Army figures "at some point this year" (to be announced at the toy shows in January) which will be pantographed down from the 1/35 set. A couple of chaps levelling rifles would work. And maybe a Bren carrier. Or a tank.

Hmm. This has the potential to turn into quite the time/cash sink so I need to figure out whether to go ahead or not.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I think I've found some Italian Aircrew in casual poses by CMK
Those are nicely posed figures,even if the chap on the right looks like he's dropped something.

Cheers

Steve

B

Brickie

That, or he's having what our Australian brethren refer to as a "Technicolour Yawn".

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Stuka dio?

Nice spelling!

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Rather nice figures there Brickie. As for the guy thats 'dropped something' maybe it was his lunch.

Your call if you will go all out and do the whole diorama but for the Group build you could just do the aircraft and maybe the figures. Then add to it as the time/wallet allow. Just an idea.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Tony,I built this aircraft in its Luftwaffe colours a while ago.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/aircraft-pictures/11648-completed-me262.html

I thought I did a thread on the build but I can't find it! I have about four other images of this aircraft or at least parts of it,and a good profile.

"Red 10" was one of a handful of two seat nightfighters that saw service with 10./NJG 11,also known as "Kommando Welter" after its commanding officer Kurt Welter. "Red 10" W.Nr.110635 (I've seen that wrong on decal sheets!) was probably collected by Lt. Altner from Staaken in early April 1945. He ferried it to Lubeck as the airfield he was headed for at Burg was put out of action by an allied bombing raid. They operated their aircraft from the Lubeck airfield by night but,to avoid the bombing,they transferred them to a section of the Lubeck-Hamburg autobahn near Reinfeld during the day. The only reason they didn't operate at night from the autobahn was a lack of lighting! Altner claimed at least one victory flying this aircraft BUT late war Luftwaffe claims were not checked at all,unlike the rigorous checks done earlier in the war.

The aircraft was captured by the British but we concentrated on "Red 8" and "Red 10" was reserved for the Americans,given the number "USA 4".

The Americans captured a load of Me262s at Lechfeld and the famous Watson's Whizzers didn't take on "Red 10". It is thought to have gone to France.

Let me know if you would like scans of the photos and profile and I'll try to get them done for you. I'm sure that they were in the build thread that I can't find. Any other questions fire away,I may be able to help.

Cheers

Steve

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Thanks Steve, any help would be greatly appreciated.

From the photo it would seem that the captured 262 kept it's original paint job and British roundals and fin flash were added over the German national markings. Hope so as this is what I intended to do.

By the way, have you any idea about the British markings on the wings as the photo doesn't show this ?

Tony.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Tony,found my build thread,piccies on page 5.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/under-construction/11474-me262b-1au1-trumpeter-1-32-a.html

Re:Roundels,there is a picture of "Red 8" in which you can just about make out roundels on the upper wing surfaces,applied over the Balkenkreuzen. There is another one of "Red 8" in which you can clearly see a roundel painted over an underwing Balkenkreuz. It is painted in the middle of the cross and the white arms of the cross extend past the edge of the roundel. I'll try and get this one scanned for you.There's no telling from the photos I've seen what they did with "Red 10" but as these aircraft were all captured at the same time similar over painting would be a good bet. Just to confuse things "Red 12" seems to have had its under wing crosses painted out with black paint,nothing is 100% certain.

Cheers

Steve